Author Topic: PROPS: Cabaret Prairie Oysters - thoughts and ideas?  (Read 6132 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
PROPS: Cabaret Prairie Oysters - thoughts and ideas?
« on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:58 pm »
I am doing a production of Cabaret in a small space with a thrust stage surrounded on three sides by audience in tables. Our Sally isn't thrilled by the health aspects of eating raw eggs in the prairie oysters that she is supposed to make onstage and I told her I'd see if anyone here had some brilliant ideas -

Has anyone successfully dealt with an alternative that looks like but isn't raw egg and Worcestershire sauce?

We have chatted abt some high maintenance stuff like blowing out the eggs and re-filling with pasteurized egg whites, etc, but surely there is an option (for Sallys who are allergic to eggs, for ex) that aren't quite so labor intensive?

OR, how did you convince your Sallys and Cliffs to swallow the stuff?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:41 am by PSMKay »

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cabaret Prairie Oysters - thoughts and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:32 am »
We used ceramic mugs for the cups and she broke real eggs into the cups.  The actors just mimed drinking them.

Later when the director wanted Sally to really chug her cup (throw it all the way back) she ended up breaking both eggs into Cliff's cup through some pretty easy slight of hand mug movements.  Then she just threw back her empty mug to drink.  Cliff was only sipping at it half-heartedly, so his mug with real eggs was no issue.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2008, 02:46 am »
Similar to Celeste's post, but I saw a production that used ceramic cups and eggs that had been blown out - Sally cracked the egg on the rim and then opened it below the rim of the cup so that no one could see that the egg was empty.

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 pm »
I just stage managed Cabaret, and we didn't use any liquid, but before we came to that decision, we tried a couple of things (and brainstormed a few more that you could possibly try).  We just blew out the eggs and Sally cracked them and mimed pouring the Worcestershire Sauce every night

First of all, blow out the eggs.

Once they are blown out, you wash them out with water (just put running water over one of the holes).  You can use opaque cups and then break the eggs and only have liquid in the Worcestershire Sauce bottle. 

You can also try to find a way to plug up the bottom hole in the egg, fill it with some sort of egg colored liquid (orange juice isn't bad, plus it tastes good) and then plug the top hole.  Then you can put whatever you want in the Worcestershire Sauce bottle and pour that.

The best idea is to use opaque cups because then its easier to fudge whether or not you use liquid.