Author Topic: SHOWS: "What The Butler Saw"- Any suggestions?  (Read 2807 times)

StageManagerV

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: ZACH Theatre, Staff PSM
  • Experience: Professional
SHOWS: "What The Butler Saw"- Any suggestions?
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:56 pm »
Hello All,

So, I'm embarking on the fantastic journey that is Stage Managing Joe Orton's fantastic play "What The Butler Saw", with it's four doors, simultaneous entrances, and some interesting prop issues.

Has anyone done this play of late, and can anyone offer any insight? It's day two of rehearsals, so I'm still getting a good handle on what the specifics are going to be, but the possible issues that pop out at me are:
- the roses gag- how can we do it without actually cutting a dozen roses every night?
- the bottles of whiskey that must be ferretted about the set
- the timing of the entrances/exits/reveals in act 1, with the costume changes of Nick and Geraldine.
- Nick's wound is supposed to ooze blood periodically during the last part of the play. Does anybody know of a good oozing blood pack?

I know I'm not horribly specific right now, but I'm just tossing a line out there in hopes that anyone that has done the play can share some stories of how they encountered the numerous challenges it presents.

Thanks so much to all comers,
~V
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:17 am by PSMKay »
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women in it merely players."
As You Like It, II.iv.137, Wm. Shakespeare

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
  • Experience: Professional
Re: "What The Butler Saw"- Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:20 pm »
I've not done this specific play, but in response to the oozing blood pack I have a couple of suggestions:

Depending on his state of undress, a good way to do "oozing" is to use a kind of pump action. The actor squeezes a pump (in his hand or some other convenient place usually dressed under the clothing so it can be squeezed inconspicuously) and it releases a small amount of blood each time creating an oozing effect. Using a recipe for a thicker blood usually helps it not to run.

Another way (also depending on how many clothes he is wearing and where the wound is located) is to under-dress a blood pack taped to his body with small small holes poked in it. It shouldn't be filled to bursting, there should be slack in the blood pack. This way, when the actor applies pressure, the tiny hole(s) will leak and it will appear as if the wound is oozing through his clothing.  Thicker blood will also help here.

Hope that helps!