Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?  (Read 106234 times)

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROMPT BOOK: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?
« Reply #105 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:14 pm »
For my blocking scripts, I put the script pages on the left and removable blocking pages on the right. I'm right handed so this is easiest for me.

For calling scripts, I keep the script pages on the left. I write my cues in the left margin of the script page and underline with a straightedge to keep it in line with the correct text, and I draw a caret on the line to indicate cue placement.

If I have a cue at the top of a page, I fold the page in half backwards (vertically). This way when I'm on the previous page, I can have the next page folded so that I see the left margin and can see the upcoming cue. This is particularly useful if I have to start speaking for the cue before the page gets turned.

abhibeckert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager at The Rondo Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #106 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:44 pm »
For my last couple of shows I've started printing double sided with a large margin. Less sheets of paper means less weight, smaller folders, less space on my bookshelf at home (I keep all my folders).

I print at about A5 size in the centre of an A4 page. Nearly all my notes go on the outside margin (opposite the holes), but will use both sides sometimes.

I keep most of my notes short and to the point and write small, with a 0.3mm mechanical pencil, and once things stop changing I re-do all my notes with a 0.3mm Zebra Sarasa black pen (amazing pen!) for improved legibility. I also switch from pencil underlines to highlighters during this process.

Plus I have thin colour coded adhesive tags everywhere. Thousands of them.

I use full notes at first, but for most of the script switch to abbreviations. If someone else calls my show they might see "Robert Enter DSL" above an orange tag, but later on it will be "R. DSL" above the tag. By then they will have learned Orange always means an entrance and there's only one character with an "R" initial.

Sometimes I insert a blank sheet of paper as "page 42.5" for additional notes. So far I've only ever needed that for the beginning of the show and interval.

Finally, I use the binder for storage and transport. During the show or rehearsal I'm working with loose sheets. That way there are no rings and I can jump to other pages without losing my place. If I need to discuss something in detail, I can just grab that page and walk over to another person, instead of trying to carry the entire folder.

Being relatively new (5 shows) I'm still developing my system, but this seems to work well.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019, 07:47 pm by abhibeckert »

Greasergal

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #107 on: Mar 25, 2019, 03:29 pm »
I've tried both sides, I've tried creating my own script with a diagram in the margins or at the top. I eventually figured out a format I prefer which is to place a lined/boxed blank sheet in between the script pages (attached). I use the boxes to draw any fast paced moment "pictures" and then write in blocking on the lines. Those lines and boxes correspond to a number I write beside wherever that movement or picture takes place.

Each of those added pages, I have numbered to correspond with the script page numbers in the top right hand, but when I get into adding cues in my script and I'm comfortable enough with the blocking, I pull out the blocking pages and place them behind the script. If I need to refer to the blocking because someone else is stepping into the role, I do have to put them back in in order to walk them through the blocking, but otherwise it gives me a clean script to put my cues in and only have to worry about those cues without the clutter of blocking notation. The only thing that remains on the script itself is the corresponding numbers hand circled.

I just find it's cleaner and I don't have to erase entire lines of blocking when that movement moves later or before where I had it. I only have to erase and place the number in the new location on that page.

Since I place these separate pages in between the two sided script pages, left or right depends on what page I'm on. :)

DiploMattOnline

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #108 on: Oct 12, 2019, 10:25 am »
When I?m doing a prompt book, I have my script single-sided and hole-punch it on the opposite side you usually would. This means the script is on my left and cues, notes, and blocking is on my right. I do this because I?m right handed.

The columns I have for the ?blank? page are (from left to right): Cues Closest to the script (LX, SQ, FLY, etc.), Description (a description of what each cue is. Eg ?LxQ 1 - House Lights Out? etc. I also use this Column for any notes about the blocking that require extra attention.), Blocking (Alan crosses downstage left from upstage right would be (A) USR x DSL etc.)

I would always draw a line connecting a cue to a point in the script and add a tail after the word/line that the cue happens.

It really is personal choice and whatever is easier for you.