Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?  (Read 106257 times)

Automaticftp

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: ABA, CBA, FFA, DBA
Re: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?
« Reply #75 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:58 am »
Well, since I've gotten back into it, I type the script into Numbers and format it so that it corresponds to the page numbers in the script.  Then, I place blocking notes and cues in the facing page.  So I end up with the script on the left side of the rings and the blocking and cues on the right.  Very neat, very easy to update, and I've set it up so that warnings and standbys are automatically entered in the spreadsheet. 

The other folks on the production I'm on now looked at me like I was nuts when I showed up to rehearsal with the script typed into my laptop.....although they aren't laughing now! 

spikesgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: ahhh
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39 am »
MC - good point.

But I have never seen someone with the script on the right side of the binder with the cues on the left side of the script before.  (I imagine it would be hard to write cues with the rings of the binder in the way.)

I just assumed, and incorrectly so, that a script on the right side of the binder would have the cues on the right side.  My apologies.

Believe it or not - writing cues on the left side ofthe script was how we were taught in tech class.  It was annoying awkward and unbelievably hard to use.  I did it one time for the grade and then went back to what has worked for me, which is the right side.
Charlie

check us out at sctlivetheatre.org

thtstagemanager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2008, 01:51 pm »
 I have found that if you are Right handed it's best to put the script on the "left" sometimes I will make blocking sheets and copy it onto the back of my script, so that i have templates to use.  I denote the blocking with letters or numbers within my script on the left page.  I have found this system to be the most useful and efficient.  I can follow with my left hand and write with my right.  The only issue is copying.  If you need to copy your script it can be a hassle because you have to put the pages in backwards for this system to work.  I suggest that you keep a back up to copy or use the asm's script for copying.

Once you get the knack of everything on the left it is amazing.  I use stencils on the left margin for my Cues and that works the best with this system as well.

neon stars

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2008, 04:10 am »
I have found that if you are Right handed it's best to put the script on the "left" sometimes I will make blocking sheets and copy it onto the back of my script, so that i have templates to use.  I denote the blocking with letters or numbers within my script on the left page.  I have found this system to be the most useful and efficient.  I can follow with my left hand and write with my right.  The only issue is copying.  If you need to copy your script it can be a hassle because you have to put the pages in backwards for this system to work.  I suggest that you keep a back up to copy or use the asm's script for copying.

Once you get the knack of everything on the left it is amazing.  I use stencils on the left margin for my Cues and that works the best with this system as well.

what you said :)

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2008, 11:28 pm »
I like my blocking pages on the right because i'm right handed and my blocking is slightly more legible that way.  unfortunatly, i also like my cues to the to the right side of the script...  i don't want a seperate calling script from blocking script.  Im still trying to find the best way to do this.  I'm thinking...  retype the script and adjust the margin so that i have a large margin between the script and the binder ring.  so on the left hand page i would have the script to the left, cues to the right of that, and then on the right hand page i would have blocking and technical notes....  not sure how I'll like this, but I might try this on my next show.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2008, 01:31 pm »
I have my script/cues on the right, and blocking on the left, even though I'm right handed.  I don't like having a separate calling script, because during the rehearsal process I get so comfortable looking at my blocking script that to have a new, clean script for cues feels a little unsettling.

bbdanigrace

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jun 29, 2008, 04:18 pm »
I have done both styles in the past and find that I have to do a combination. During rehearsals, when I have to take down blocking more than anything else, I'll put the text on the left, stage diagram on the right. I then write out a separate cue sheet with cue #, actor action or key line, and time of cue. Then when it comes time for tech, I can read off the sheet as I go through the script and really finalize my timing, which makes it a lot easier to time my "ready"'s. I have even been known to retype scripts with color-coded cues in the left margin (still on the left side of the prompt script) which leaves my right side free to jot notes during the show. (Yes, I'm a tad OCD) I'm all about the left side now. It just makes me happy.

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
« Reply #82 on: Jun 29, 2008, 08:07 pm »
I have my script/cues on the right, and blocking on the left, even though I'm right handed.  I don't like having a separate calling script, because during the rehearsal process I get so comfortable looking at my blocking script that to have a new, clean script for cues feels a little unsettling.

For the last show I did (Midsummer), I actually did type up the script in Word before the rehearsal process just to try it out.  After tech and preview were over, I entered all my cues into the Word document version of my script and printed out a new "calling" script to use for the run of the show.  I thought it would be easier since it was a smaller binder with just the script, the cues were typed in and permanent, etc.

I used it for the second performance (didn't want to jinx opening night) and it was the weirdest feeling.  I was constantly doubting myself and thinking I'd typed the cues in wrong (even though I hadn't). I'd even brought my rehearsal script up to the booth with me and double checked some of the cues because they looked so different typed up. As you mentioned, it was very unsettling not to be looking at the same script as I'd seen every day during the rehearsal process. After a few performances I got used to it and didn't have to check the cues in my rehearsal script anymore, but those first few nights with the calling script were very weird.

SMExtraordinaire

• New to Town
  • Must respect the ball cap....
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #83 on: Aug 02, 2008, 12:55 pm »
I have done books in various ways:

1. Script center of page, blocking on left and cues on right (and visa versa).
2. Separate blocking script with diagrams, colored pencils, and lots of writings.
3. Curent method - a. script is on the right, blank numbered blocking section on the left (with blank boxes to specifiy if I need a visual). I find I can write pretty quickly if I can just throw the number by the dialogue and then draw my little picture (and write in crosses later). b. Separate electronic cue script - easier to read, easier to modify later and much easier to clean. Also, if you were to be hit by a bus - easier for an outsider to understand.
"It required a bland, conscientious temperament that expected abuse and never admiration. The best stage managers are usually women, who bear the indignity for the historical neccessity of continuity itself." - John Osbourne

jlipari

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Aug 02, 2008, 10:22 pm »
I have found that text on the right works best for me. Being right handed its easier for me to block fast and to write in my cues neatly without my hand getting caught on a binder or something.
The only draw back i find with this method is i like (in a musical) to follow the score with a pencil to get the correct timings to the beat etc. This is more difficult for me when the script/score is on the left.

jaredinlights

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:23 pm »
Personally, I block and then copy it that blocking is on the left and when it comes to tech week there is a blank cue page on the right.

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:33 am »
I as well do seperate scripts for blocking/notes and calling.

I prefer to have a very clean script for calling.

I also try to do 100% digital scripts, it just makes it more easier and precise for me.

I do have the script on the left hand side and have my blocking/notes form on the right side.

My form has the ground plan on the top third of the page, and the bottom 2 thirds of the page is 3 columns (Blocking, Direction, Props/Notes/FX)  The blocking column has numbers 10-100 down the left side of the page.

I find this has worked very well for me.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

adamsangelam

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Apr 07, 2009, 11:52 am »
I also agree with Ruth.  With the exception that when I am inserting cues into my calling script I usually use post-in arrows or dots and the different colors signify which type of cue.  For example:  Yellow is LX; Green is SD; Blue is both LX and SD; and Red is for warnings or standbys.  Once the show is up and running the only time I pull out my blocking script is for US rehearsals.

thelovelyLIZ

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Legally Blonde: The Musical at PCPA Theaterfest
« Reply #88 on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:27 pm »
I personally put my text on the left and my blocking on the right. It doesn't really bother me when I'm calling, since that's how I've been looking at that book for so long. I do know some stage managers will use a completely different calling script though.

FEMontesa

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #89 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:27 am »
Personal preferance is that since I'm right handed, I write my blocking on the right and follow text with my left.  But I print the text with a wide left margin for text for writing Q's.  It's a little tricky with the rings but tech is a short.  Calling from a messy book is a forever I don't want to live in.  The worst books I've see is when blocking and Q's are on the same page, left or right.  It's just messy.
ERIC Montesa=:)

riotous