Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Smudgy Card stock  (Read 3776 times)

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
PROMPT BOOK: Smudgy Card stock
« on: Mar 22, 2007, 01:57 am »
I use card stock for my script and I have a problem with the back of the pages get smudgy from the copied page behind it. I don't know if this has something to do with the paper itself or if it's just the toner in the copier. It erases, but that's a pain and very time consuming. And on top of that, it's a little annoying writing blocking on less than perfect paper. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:13 am by PSMKay »

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Smudgy Card stock
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2007, 03:56 am »
Make sure your card stock is suited for your printer/copier - laser card stock is slightly different to inkjet. Make sure it is non-gloss and that you are printing on the right side - something to do with the treatments applied to the paper I think.

A lot of copiers have problems with anything over about 120 GSM - check through it's manual. It may be worth your while to try a print shop - ask them about the right stock to use. It may end up cheaper to actually get them to print it.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007, 03:59 am by Mac Calder »

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2007, 05:31 pm »
I actually enlarge and photocopy the script two pages to one then cut it down the center and paste one page on a piece of card stock.   It is a little time consuming but I also give myself a nice wide margin to the right of the page for writing cues.  Unless I have a separate script for blocking I use a number system for each page of dialogue using the characters name in a circle and then various symbols for blocking. 
Good luck finding the right way for you to do your prompt book.

:)

javnine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2007, 06:08 pm »
Out of curiosity, why cardstock?  I've never heard of using it before, and I wonder why you would choose that over regular paper?

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2007, 06:35 pm »
Out of curiosity, why cardstock?  I've never heard of using it before, and I wonder why you would choose that over regular paper?

This has been debated on here before, but I use it simply because it can withstand the amount of wear and tear that my script goes through because I only use one script for the entire rehearsal process and write my cues and blocking in it, as opposed to using a calling script and a blocking script.

Thank you for your suggestions. I just re-did my script and I guess it was on the "right" side of the cardstock because it didn't smudge. My new problem is that the paper smells REALLY weird... I think I'll just blow some incense in it's direction and hope for the best.

riotous