Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Wedding Proposal on Stage  (Read 9912 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
PROFESSIONALISM: Wedding Proposal on Stage
« on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:29 pm »
http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/15/peter-pan-proposal-video-sandor-sturbl-pops-question-to-wendy-at-peter-pan-the-never-ending-story-in-glasgow-4263469/

Peter Pan proposed to Wendy onstage during a production....this isn't something that can happen without a modicum of preparation. So what do you do when the potential groom to be comes up to you with this plan?

I mean....if nothing else the entire production is about how Peter isn't going to grow up. Now this actor "ruins" the story by proposing. Call me a grump and a grouch but there is absolutely no way I permit this. If we want to move this to The Green Room I'm ok with it 

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Wedding Proposal on Stage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:01 pm »
I don't think I'd allow it either, certainly not in the professional world, anyway.  If it was community theatre I might think about it, but I'd probably still say no.  Having said that, I did have an episode where a guy approached us about proposing to his girlfriend on stage during our late-night improv show (he wasn't a performer).  We made it work - much easier in an improv show, the players "chose" him and his girlfriend out of the audience for a game requiring audience extras.  He did surprise all of us a little when he started out with the words "xxxx, I know we've only been going out for a month but...." as he hadn't given us that piece of information - I could see the horror in the eyes of the players as they realised it could all go very wrong, but mercifully she said yes!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:36 am »
totally would allow it - at the end of curtain call - show is over.

but I am a sap for things like this
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:50 am »
totally would allow it - at the end of curtain call - show is over.

but I am a sap for things like this

I guess this is part of the issue. Once the show is over, ok fine. The cast has executed their duties, and this is a cute thing. If this is during the curtain call....nuh uh. Especially older shows like this where the cast traditionally sings an encore. I haven't been able to find a source that says when the proposal happened, but hearing that Pan apparently said "this is when Peter is supposed to leave" or something similar....doesn't even sound like we made it to curtain call.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:28 pm »
I find that as I get older, I am more open to things like this . . .

like when I was younger, I flipped out about a walk role that was auctioned off . . .

but, a show is a living, breathing thing that is alive, and audiences really like the spontaneity of this . . .

If it happened when everyone was about to step off . . . no problem . . . if it was during the choreographed portion of the show . . . no . . .

And I would only do it with the GM/Producers' blessing . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:24 pm »
"Sandor Sturbl, 28, stopped the finale of a performance to ask his girlfriend and co-star Lilly-Jane Young if she would marry him."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/peter-pan-proposes-to-wendy-mid-performance-in-a-reallife-fairytale-ending-9061473.html

Leaving aside my personal opinions about proposals in public, my first thought was the same as yours - it really doesn't jive with the story that's just been told. After curtain call, okay. Before curtain call, no, I probably wouldn't let that happen.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:24 pm »
Yep. No good. No way. Bad form.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:05 pm »
Having done a public proposal and knowing how stressful they can be, this could have ended soooo badly.  Having said that, curtail call for sure.

But let's look at this another way: Hasn't he, by declaring his love during the final number and having it go viral, suddenly garnered a lot of publicity for this tour/production?  Would you as a producer or PM allow it?

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:33 pm »
Matthew's answer, below, is the one I was going to give.  It's not up to me, it's up to the "Producer." As is collecting for BC/EFA. I would never initiate that either, without getting clearance first.

And I would only do it with the GM/Producers' blessing . . .
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:06 am »
We currently allow for proposals at our shows which we have a set-up for in a very specific way that kicks off the show before the 'show' actually starts.  But the company has been evaluating how often they happen (for our show just every few months) and if we want to continue to allow them.

The audience goes wild for them.  People always come up to the couple afterwards and excitedly congratulate them.

I know of a few Broadway tours who have allowed curtain call proposals.  One was for two company members.  But always at/after curtain calls in a way that makes sense for the show...

Another thing to consider if you allow the proposal to happen, will the proposee say yes?  There was a time in another show within my company of someone who said no once, which obviously was a horrible thing to happen during a show.  Now every time we entertain the idea of a proposal in our show, we make sure to vet the people as much as possible.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:13 pm »
LizzG, I was just going to pipe in about this.  Glad you did!

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:43 pm »
A company I worked for also did them before the top of the show - there was a pre show sort of thing before hand and it would occur in the space between that ending and the top of the show.

My Production Manager HATED doing them. She was always convinced the person was going to say no and really, that's kind of rough to recover from.

On the flip side, about 6 months ago, we held the top of the show for about 3 minutes so that one of the performers could propose to his girlfriend backstage. Fortunately, she said yes ;o)
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:08 am »
Not sure about the one in the original posting, if it was mid-show. However, this one http://www.lighttrapfilms.co.uk/gallery/wno-on-stage-proposal/ I think is wonderful - after the curtain call of the public dress rehearsal.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:58 am »
Not sure about the one in the original posting, if it was mid-show. However, this one http://www.lighttrapfilms.co.uk/gallery/wno-on-stage-proposal/ I think is wonderful - after the curtain call of the public dress rehearsal.

Yes, this is pretty heart-warming.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:24 pm »
I find that as I get older, I am more open to things like this . . .

like when I was younger, I flipped out about a walk role that was auctioned off . . .

I agree. And now that I've been in the year-round staff of a non-profit, I actually SUGGESTED a role we could do as auction or media stunt the other day. (Sound of Music. Concert "trio" in the awards section. Can you imagine some nights being the auctioned, high-paid ones, and others the top media folks of the market? Instant publicity!!!)

But I also agree that I watched the clip and went..."Wait, they cut a song in order to do the proposal? That ain't right!"

Erin