Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Producer in the cast  (Read 2968 times)

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
PROFESSIONALISM: Producer in the cast
« on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:18 am »
Hi all!  I have lurked for about a year and finally registered a few weeks ago.  I'm stage managing a play at the local community college starting at the end of this month, and I just got the finalized cast list yesterday.  My production manager is on it.  She's absolutely lovely, and so I don't think there will be big problems, but it makes me a little bit leery. 

What potential issues are there that I should keep on my radar?  I'm sure that some of you have come across this situation before - any words of wisdom?  I'm dealing with students, some of whom have done little to no theatre in the past, so I'm hoping that she can set a good example for them: being on time, knowing her lines, being professional and respectful, etc.  Also, they might not know what questions to ask, how to ask them, or be completely comfortable approaching me (never having worked with an SM before).  So as a part of the cast, she could potentially help them out or send them to me - "It's okay to ask the SM that."  "That's a perfect question for the SM - I know she would love to help."

In short, I'm hoping that this will be actively positive, but I'm nervous because I haven't dealt with this situation before.  I just want to be prepared!
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Producer in the cast
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2010, 11:33 pm »
I apologize that the previous replies to this post have been lost in the 4 day rollback.  Please see the most recent post on the Announcements board for details.