Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Dressing For The Part?  (Read 92569 times)

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dressing For The Part?
« Reply #90 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:51 am »
I'm going to get my first pair of honest to god Red Wings this weekend.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #91 on: Oct 26, 2007, 01:12 pm »
Interestingly enough, since I moved to NY and started a day job that required me to be more dressed up, I've discovered that I like it! I can't wear jeans to work, which were (with a nice shirt, or a nice t-shirt for taping and props pulling and such) pretty much my staple, but I find myself pairing nicer shirts with my dark, dressy jeans or black pants more often now.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #92 on: Oct 27, 2007, 09:17 am »
Just chiming in on the shoe debate...and I think I may have already said this on this thread...but DANSKOS, DANSKOS, DANSKOS!  They are the best shoes ever.  I have....4 pairs total...1 of them is a nice pair of heels that is as comfortable as my flat pairs.  I live in them. 

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #93 on: Oct 27, 2007, 01:42 pm »
Just chiming in on the shoe debate...and I think I may have already said this on this thread...but DANSKOS, DANSKOS, DANSKOS!  They are the best shoes ever.  I have....4 pairs total...1 of them is a nice pair of heels that is as comfortable as my flat pairs.  I live in them. 

I second this! I have a pair of clogs, a pair of dress shoes and an awesome pair of boots. I can stand in them for HOURS and walking in them is great too. They are totally worth the price!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #94 on: Oct 27, 2007, 06:17 pm »
Has anyone had any luck finding nice-looking, comfortable, practical black shoes that are also vegetarian?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #95 on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:15 am »
Has anyone had any luck finding nice-looking, comfortable, practical black shoes that are also vegetarian?
Do your shoes eat meat usually?
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #96 on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:00 pm »

Try www.gaiam.com.  They have shoes that are comfy, but made with no animal products (100% vegan)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #97 on: Oct 28, 2007, 02:44 pm »
Thanks! I'll check them out.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #98 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:53 am »
I've worn my vegan Docs for 10 years (wow, I just had to do the math for that). These days they are a little less flexible than they used to be, which means that they can pinch my toes a little when I'm crawling around on the deck. But they are holding up great, with no holes or anything. That reminds me - they're due for a polish!

TSee57

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Nov 22, 2007, 02:40 am »
I've found that, at least in my situation (I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad), the nicer you dress the more seriously people will take you. As has been said, if you at least look like you care about how you look, people will be more likely to believe that you know what you are doing. For me, a decent t-shirt (no holes or rips) with equally decent jeans and tennis shoes gets me by through the rehearsal process. Once we dress I'm in casual blacks (long sleeve shirt or t-shirt, depending on the climate), and once we hit the run I'm in a long sleeve button down  (black, of course), black slacks and black shoes. Coincidentally (or not, however you want to take it) the better I dressed for the occasion, the more seriously people seem to take me.

And, to take a quote from The Office, "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #100 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:57 pm »
I just got a nice pair of work boots this black friday for like 10$ ! Steel toe ITASCA! Love it!!!
All on the same G.O.

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #101 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:59 pm »
I picked up a pair of black Merell mocs. VERY comfortable (though a bit snug on my enormous feet, even in the largest size they offer which is a paltry 13 mens - US) and they supposedly hold up VERY well in the long term as well.

For pants... I'm still singing the praises of 5.11 TDU pants. VERY comfortable, sharp looking, built-in kneepads, and durable as all get-out. Not sure if I'll wear them for the run, but I'm considering it. For me, dressy isn't practical dress, and I have a tendency to do a bit more than just sit back and call the show.
-David

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:42 am »
I get my (veggie) shoes from moo shoes.  www.mooshoes.com

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Dec 26, 2007, 07:55 pm »
Keens, keens keens. I love them. www.keenfootwear.com
Comfy, black, all purpose. Now I just need a brown shoe that functions the same.

Reading about BalletPSM's St. Patty's day attire inspired me to share this:
On the longer first days of tech, I like to wear black shirt, a black skirt, and funky colored tights- I have red and black striped, blue, pink, yellow, and am getting orange soon.
Why?
Because inevitably we'll be holding, I'll come out onstage, a long design conversation takes place in the house while I chat politely with actors onstage, and just when it gets to be tedious, someone will go "Oh wow, your tights are so fun/cute/whatever!" Then the actor is temporarily entertained and in good spirits. I know it seems stupid, but so far it's been a winner every time. Plus it puts me in a good mood to wear bright colors.

I just wear a belt loosely outside of the skirt and put my flashlight on it. The fleece pockets hold extra pencils and stuff. If I find I need to hold more stuff, I may start searching for a sweet fanny pac.

There was also one tech that was pigtail tech... the PSM and director had pigtails, I did it, and the first ASM made pigtails by ripping out two my little pony tails and attaching them to a headband... good times.

Automaticftp

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: ABA, CBA, FFA, DBA
« Reply #104 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:39 am »
For the people who have said that the better you dress, the more seriously others will take you--that's absolutely true, at least to a point.  I've gone to rehearsals wearing a suit, following a court appearance (I'm a lawyer by day) and it is amazing to see how differently people react to me (ordinarily for rehearsal I wear chinos and a Polo oxford).  During the run, black mock turtleneck and black slacks or (clean, neat) jeans; and my trusty shined old Army boots--black Hitecs.