Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Dressing For The Part?  (Read 92534 times)

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dressing For The Part?
« Reply #120 on: Sep 22, 2008, 01:09 pm »
I totally agree, but here's my question.

I don't actually work in a theatre, it's pretty much voluntary basis for the shows I work with. So, we don't exactly have a 'dress code' for people who walk in the door (unless you're wearing clothes that are totally innappropriate...you know what i mean). Is that the same thing for other theatres? What about theatres where people are actually hired for the jobs they do, or does that depend on the theatre/standard of the theatre???

Most of this thread is for theatres where you've been hired for the position.  In a 100% volunteer situation dress codes are generally less formal - there is no incentive or expectations.  Now, it doesn't hurt to follow the above suggestions in volunteer situations - showing up for a rehearsal wearing a miniskirt and thong and mooning the cast when you bend over is generally considered inappropriate all across the board.

In paid positions, it varies from theatre to theatre if there are basic 'dress expectations'.  At my theatre, t-shirts are not allowed.  Now, can I change into a t-shirt if I'm about to go paint something or get really dirty?  Yes.  But the day-to-day attire for me backstage is polos with the theatre logo on them, and for the staff up front is business casual.

-Centaura

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #121 on: Apr 13, 2009, 08:59 pm »
For an interview, I definitely agree that you have to dress up a bit. I always wear slacks and a nice top for those.

Even in rehearsal, I tend to dress a bit more. For me, dressing up a bit means "I'm going to work" and helps to put me in the right mindset. I'm also the crazy sort that really enjoys working in a dress, jewelry, etc. My producer always says that I don't dress like a typical stage manager!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Apr 14, 2009, 12:46 pm »
Even in rehearsal, I tend to dress a bit more. For me, dressing up a bit means "I'm going to work" and helps to put me in the right mindset. I'm also the crazy sort that really enjoys working in a dress, jewelry, etc. My producer always says that I don't dress like a typical stage manager!

How do you tape the rehearsal floor, manipulate props, and move around unobtrusively in a dress and jewelry?

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #123 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:12 pm »

How do you tape the rehearsal floor, manipulate props, and move around unobtrusively in a dress and jewelry?

We girls are talented that way.  ;)
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

katykat29

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:51 pm »
We girls are talented that way.  ;)
[/quote]

I'm not, put me in pair of heels and my top speed goes way down.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #125 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:50 pm »

That's just what I'm comfortable in...plus on days where I know I'm taping the floor or something like that, I'll wear pants. But heels and jewelry don't bother me at all.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #126 on: Apr 15, 2009, 11:27 pm »

That's just what I'm comfortable in...plus on days where I know I'm taping the floor or something like that, I'll wear pants. But heels and jewelry don't bother me at all.

Where do you find this takes you in setting a dynamic for the rehearsal room?  As an SM every word an action has an impact on the atmosphere of the rehearsal and the production.  Have you found formalizing the rehearsal room has had an impact on those working in said rehearsal room?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #127 on: Apr 16, 2009, 06:31 pm »

Where do you find this takes you in setting a dynamic for the rehearsal room?  As an SM every word an action has an impact on the atmosphere of the rehearsal and the production.  Have you found formalizing the rehearsal room has had an impact on those working in said rehearsal room?

It helps a lot, actually. For me, it's a way to signal "Ok, I'm going to WORK." I had a friend in high school who wore suits on standardized test days because it helped him focus. I guess it's a similar thing for me. I know I'd be fine in jeans and a tshirt (and I wear that sometimes too, esp tech days) but I enjoy how I feel when I'm a little more "dressed up."

As for the rehearsal room, I think it helps a lot, especially in the beginning. I'm young, very petite, and look very young anyway- if I show up in jeans and a tshirt, I risk looking like a junior high kid who wandered in from her internship.  :) Looking pulled together helps me look my age and helps me with respect that I had a harder time with when I dressed down back in the beginning.

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37 pm »
One, I think you should dress appropriate as mentioned in someone's past post about a girl who's jeans were cut too low. The show I'm currently working on, we have one girl who gives a show of her own every night when she bends down to move props and what not. Its distracting and distasteful. So I'd say that's important.

Two, I once had a manager who said you should dress for the next position. In a theatrically sense what this means to me is that on interviews I dress business casual...suit without the jacket...but sometimes I wear the jacket. Image and Perception plays a huge role in everything. I want the director or production manager to know they are getting someone professional, put together, organized and about business. I keep my resume's in a portfolio, I show up early, and I don't wear a tank top and shorts.

In the rehearsal process..it truly depends on the show, the people, the environment. I worked on one show that had 600 pounds of dirt that I and the ASM had to wet, till, move, and do all sorts of things too. The director even asked the actors to wear the same stuff...so their laundry bills wouldn't go up. We left rehearsals filthy.

Sometimes I go to rehearsals right after work...but at my day job...I wear extremely casual clothes. So that translate to rehearsals sometimes.

Now during the the show...that's my time to shine. I love wearing dresses! I absolutely love it. So even for the show where I had to till the dirt beforehand...after it was done, I'd change into my dress, climb into the crow's nest (the booth) and run the show. Always in black though.

Everything you can imagine is real ~ Pablo Picasso

riotous