Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Care and Feeding of your Crew  (Read 6804 times)

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
PROFESSIONALISM: Care and Feeding of your Crew
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:27 am »
I wanted to start this thread after what happend to me this past weekend.  I substituted for a crew member in a community theatre and was floored by how rude the stage managers were!  There were no time calls to cast nor crew before the show nor at intermission (in fact, I never saw either of them come down and walk the stage ever!!).  The "calling" SM put on his headset w/ the mic on--you know, that awful clanking in your ear that happens when some one does this.  I asked that he turn off his mic when doing that and he laid into me--"hush up" which later became "shut up".  Now... I've only been an AEA SM since '82 and IATSE stg hand since '98...hmmm..and I must say that his calls were horrible.  He would combine his Warns & Stand-Bys, "Warning and Stand By for curtain"---uhhh...which is it?.... Leave us waiting on the cue way too long, call stuff at the wrong time if at all, didn't know what a scrim was so never called it that (he refered to it as a black drop which I figured out after the 2nd scrim cue).  I got a lot of the real cues from the actors---there's a lot of no confidence in the SM team on their part---and just ignored the SM's barbs--they didn't  turn off the headset mic while talking bad about me---until we got to an important cue and he was apparently calling it w/ the mic off.  Once again, the cast told me, "this is the cue...GO".
My point is that I've been places where if a stg mgr did this, the crew would have walked off the show or would have found other ways to make your life miserable.  I know these two don't realize how important it is to take care and be nice to your crew.  I've been in reverse situations as SM where the crew was really not very pleasant and my choices were: 1) act like them and not be nice back or 2) kill them with kindness.  #2 always seems to work. A not nice crew turns into very nice quickly and appreciates the fact that I brought donoughts and wait while they take forever to relamp a fixture. Before the day's out, they're giving me pointers on stage craft and going above and beyond the call.
It takes a certain temperment to be a good SM...and I went through a learning curve of thinking I was "all that" until I learned the crew is very valuable and no...you can't run the show (fly rail, deck cues, prop hand offs, quick change dresser and lights) all by yourself.
My vindication from the other night was that the SM team missed important cues and the show was not tight--they spent time chatting in the booth rahter than paying attention to the show.  The SM's knew this, knew I knew this AND theatre mgmt is very aware of this.
Take good care of your crew and sing their praises often!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:22 am by PSMKay »

Bkstgboy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Center Theatre Group
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Care and Feeding of your Crew
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:36 am »
Wow.  I hope the that SM team is on this site, reads this thread, and feels ashamed.  Were you on an IATSE contract with this show or was this all non-union?  If this were a union show I seriously hope this was reported beyond the house staff.  Blatant disregard to people's safety by flying things in at random times is inexcusable.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:58 am »
This is horrendous.  Crew needs to be treated with very high regard.  And that being said, you pointed out this was a community production and experience. Please know that not all community theatre functions this way. I hail from community theatre, and we do our best to treat all aspects of production professionally and respectfully. 

What a horrible experience for you...
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:34 pm »
No, not an IA contract---that would have not been tolerated & headsets would have been turned off if not show delayed while promoter was called to task w/ the SM's.  This isn't the norm for this theatre.  SM's are nice and grateful to the crew as well as respectful.  And, no, this SM team isn't savy enough to know there IS a website where SM's who care about their work visit and exchange info.

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36 am »
This thread brought up a question that I've been wondering.  I know at my college, it used to be tradition for the stage manager to go out with the crew for a crew dinner at some point during the production.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen on a regular basis, but I figure I would put out the question: How much does a stage manager feed their crew?  With weekly cookies?  Opening night sweets?  A crew dinner?

As for myself, I would try to find the time before tech week to make small sacks of chocolate and starbursts that I would give to my crew on opening night.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06 am »
bump out beer?
ChaCha

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:38 am »
Feed your crew with respect and a positive work environment, that will go miles further than food.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:58 am »
Feed your crew with respect and a positive work environment, that will go miles further than food.

What a great quote and observation!!   This is so true!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:02 am »
"An Army marches on it's stomach, whilst a theatre runs on morale"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 11:46 am »
I don't do it for every show, but I do usually try to take the crew out once - more for the social aspect of it.  I rarely go out after a show, so between shows, doing a quick dinner together is a great way to have some social time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20 pm »
I've just come off a production of Miss Saigon, staffed almost entirely by volunteers (some of whom were fantastic, some of whom were not!!) and as it happened, someone in the crew would bake a cake or some muffins or biscuits almost every night of the show, and bring it in for the crew to share.  We didn't ever organise it, it just happened, and I honestly think it did make a difference - it was a happy show anyway, and the baking just added to it.  It also revealed some hidden talents - the head flyman made the best date scones I have ever eaten!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44 pm »
oddly, I just bought pizza for my crew . . . due to them having to work over dinner break.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30 pm »
I'm running the lighting board for a community show this week (got moved from ASM which I signed up for, as they didn't have anyone to do the board), and my travel kettle and crew tea at the interval have proved a hit (school theatre, no Green Room or refreshment facilities). Think I may get paid work from the SM on the back of it !

riotous