Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Artistic Integrity?  (Read 7028 times)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
PROFESSIONALISM: Artistic Integrity?
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:56 am »
What do you do when you discover you're working on a show that you feel compromises your own artistic integrity?

Have you ever turned down a show because the subject matter didn't jive with you personally?  

Do you have a definite idea of where your own boundaries are when it comes to various material, or are you still figuring it out?

Discuss!

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:35 am by PSMKay »
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Artistic Integrity?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 02:07 pm »
I think as far as artistic integrity, you have to learn as a stage manager to separate yourself from the artistic merit of a show - you have no control of it, so you have to learn how to get job satisfaction out of the project.  (Seriously, how many shows start out good and then tank?  - what are you going to do, quit?

As far as working on shows about certain material, that is something you learn where your boundaries are - I personally have very little personal boundary issues - so there is very little material I wouldn't work on - but I am finding, as my career goes on, it's about people I want to work with or not work with - not necessarily the material.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009, 03:35 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 02:20 pm »
I am finding, as my career goes on, it's about people I want to work with or not work with - not necessarily the material.

AMEN!!
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009, 03:35 pm by MatthewShiner »
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:41 pm »
I find that reading the script (especially a "new work") is helpful in deciding if I want to work on the project or not.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:55 pm »
On the flip side, speaking as someone who does ALOT of classical theatre (So much, I am changing my middle name to Shakespeare), you can read the script, and be totally blindsided by the director's concept.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:14 am »
Frankly, as long as the check clears, I'm not as worried about "artistic integrity".  Maybe I'm cynical.  I look more at the production dept.  The one show I ever passed on was a musical w/ a lot of flying, automation and tricks at a theatre that did mostly straight plays w/ little automation.  I thought the show was biting off more than the theatre could chew and knew it was going to be A LOT of work on my part, more than I was willing to put in for the $$.
As long as I'm not morally opposed, I can suck it up, and make the show happen.  But I am thankful to be working on a show that I think is good...
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2009, 02:06 pm by nmno »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:41 am »
Frankly, as long as the check clears, I'm not as worried about "artistic integrity".  Maybe I'm cynical. 

I don't think you're being cynical at all.  It's a business and you as an independent contractor need to make decisions in the best interest of your bottom line.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:00 pm »
I don’t feel my professional integrity as a stage manager is necessarily tied to the artistic merits of the show.   It’s more about making sure my team and I are as prepared as possible for the demands of the show;  breaks happen on schedule, backstage is well organized, schedules are clear, coffee is made, etc.  My job is to support the artistic team, even if I don’t personally enjoy their creative choices.  If a show is poorly reviewed, I wouldn’t see it as a reflection on me (unless someone on the SM team was neglectful or incompetent enough to impact the whole run, and I’ve thankfully never been in that situation).   I also find that even when I don’t love the show as a whole, I’ll be able to appreciate some aspect of it, whether it’s the lighting, or an actor with a great sense of humor.

As for subject matter and boundaries, I’ll do anything.  The uglier the better, for me.  I love plays that are messy and unpredictable, that really challenge audiences to think when they leave the theater.  Bad language and a non-politically-correct approach are fine with me if it’s part of the play’s journey.  I worked one show that dealt with race in ways that made some people very uncomfortable, and one of the actors and I talked about what to do if someone from the audience got angry enough to get on stage and challenge him. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:49 am »
It's just like saying 'Dont judge me by what my kid does, judge me for me' . . . I believe that if the show flops and I did my job, then its just the show that flopped. Artistic integrity for me is feeling as if I did all I could to make this show possible and run smoothly without incidences.

Unfortunately I cant comment on whether or not I've turned down a show because of the material because there aren't enough shows in this town to even consider turning anything down lol. What I have done is learned to adapt to the type of show it is and the type of demands it makes rather than turning it down.

I dont knwo if that makes sense or not...it makes sense to me though :P
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

Libby

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:47 pm »
I come from a background of really compelling/controversial theatre. And while I love it, there have been some moments where really graphic or unsavory things have happened onstage. Honestly the only way it seems to even slightly bother me is when violence/sex/language/etc. is used strictly to be controversial and has no real meaning/message behind it or when it takes you out of the moment.

Even when that happens I tend to keep my mouth shut (the one exception being when a young director asked me what I thought of a particularly detailed rape scene. I told him the truth of how I felt, and he actually changed the moment. Though I don't think I would have given my opinion unsolicited.)

RParker2

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:23 pm »
As a student, the concept of doing a show that I enjoy enough and would actually pay to go see is about as likely as owning a pet unicorn, which would be awesome.  Which is why I do the job not to be entertained, but to work with great people, as seems to be the consensus here, as well as dream of a day in the distant future when the shows I do will be consistently something to be proud of.

That said, I have to admit I'm often proud of the low budget activism shows i've done (especially prevelent in the university setting, I would think), because everyone else involved is so passionate about the message, it's hard not to care a bit.  I've done a number of these "statement making" shows for free or as favors in addition to my regular workload because I think experimental, community, political, cultural, etc etc theatre is really important from a society point of view and what have you.  Plus, it's nice to get shaken up out of that stage manager's apathy once in a while.  Though I have to admit.. if I weren't managing it, I probably wouldn't go myself.  And I'd rather do A Streetcar Named Desire anyday.

But to andswer the question itself, no, I've never done any theatre that made me squirm per se, but I have done a fair amount of "compelling/ controversial theatre" as well, and I've particularly enjoyed watching the "white heads" in the audience squirm from the booth.