Author Topic: PRE-PRODUCTION: Alternative to Taping Floors  (Read 4318 times)

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
PRE-PRODUCTION: Alternative to Taping Floors
« on: Sep 14, 2013, 04:09 pm »
Hi all,
     Slight conundrum that I have found myself in. Moving into a new rehearsal space, the Senior Department Administrator (don't ask), said we can't use spike (the traditional cloth backed stuff) on their new floors because they don't want to ruin the finish. I've looked through the other forums here and have found suggestions to use other tape (ETape, Painters, Artist's Drafting tape), but haven't really found any completely different options (i.e. not tape), which is what I'm looking for to present as alternatives.

I have though of/had suggested to me using a large piece of carpet to mimic the shape of the (very odd) deck, and Tyvek (the building wrapping stuff). I'm looking for other experiences/options. Thanks in advance!

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: PRE-PRODUCTION: Alternative to Taping Floors
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2013, 04:47 pm »
Here's a thread about some alternative taping options: http://smnetwork.org/forum/tools-of-the-trade/tape-out-on-carpet/msg47936/#msg47936

For floors that can't be taped, I have used a large piece of canvas or carpet laid over the floor. You can tape on that, and then roll it up at the end of the day. With the canvas, it helps to have a layer of rubber grip (like carpet padding) underneath to prevent it from bunching and sliding. (It will still bunch, regardless.) It's helpful to gaff tape the sides of the canvas down, which probably wouldn't work in your case.

Here's an idea that may or may not work: Put something vertical (e.g. music stands) at the "corners" of each line, and then use string to connect them, forming the walls. I don't know how you'd keep the music stands from getting bumped or moved- maybe put something like a post-it note under each one? This method wouldn't help with other things that are taped out, like stairs, but it does give you a sense of where the walls/doors on a set are.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2013, 08:44 pm »
Because this is a school, you may have supplies, in which case string and/or a tarp/canvas over the floor is great, but I have also used sidewalk chalk to great success for situations where other options or supplies didn't exist.

Sarah.E

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Boston University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2013, 09:27 pm »
Painting lines in tempura (water-soluble) paint might be a good option. Most school art departments have them around, and they can be mopped right up. This is what we used to do in my high school; worked like a dream!

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2013, 12:36 am »
I've also used white liquid shoe polish as an alternative to tape in the past on a floor that a dance department was worried about (this was what they wanted us to use, so it was approved by them).

As always, find a corner or edge of the room and spot check any sort of method you might be considering that involves any of these paint-type methods.

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2013, 11:19 pm »
Thanks everyone, after some convincing (and a quick test in the closet in the room), turns out we can just good ol' spike tape. I'll keep all these other options in mind for the future though!

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2013, 12:45 pm »
Keep in mind new spike tape and weeks old spike tape produce very different results...
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"