Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY: Battery Drain on wireless mics  (Read 6229 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
TECHNOLOGY: Battery Drain on wireless mics
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:48 pm »
Hey, folks we are all stumped on this one at my current show, and we're all casting out for ideas.

In the show I'm currently working the mic packs are draining batteries SUPER fast.   As in, a fresh battery is put in at half hour, and it's totally dead before intermission.  Erratically.  This has happened on six of the seven packs in use on the show, and at least once goes out EVERY PERFORMANCE; sometimes three or four!  At one point, our engineer put in a fresh battery, saw three bars on the indicator, turned away for a few minutes to do some mixing at sound check, and when she turned back, the low battery indicator was flashing.

We're stumped.  The sound designer, sound engineer, SM and myself have NEVER experienced anything like this before.  We've trouble shot everything we could think of, and are at the point where we're contemplating ridiculous things like whether the brand of condoms we are using is somehow blocking the signal and making them work harder.  Like I said, ridiculous.

So, has anyone had anything like this happen on any of their show, or have any idea of things we can do/check, etc. that is beyond the logical things?

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 06:52 pm by Rebbe »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
Re: Battery Drain on wireless mics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:22 pm »
What brand and type of batteries are you using?
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:43 pm »
Are they rechargeable batteries? Sometimes those are a little less reliable.

The only thing I can think of is that your wireless receiver is too far away from the transmitters and they're working super hard to maintain a signal - are they kept downstairs/in dressing rooms/etc?  One show I did moving the wireless transmitters to backstage as opposed to the dressing rooms preshow helped quite a bit.

Let us know what you find out!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:56 am »
Have you tried buying a different box of batteries/a different brand? I once ended up with a dud batch that did the same thing, or simply started out brand new with one bar.

C

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:59 am »
I don't recall what brand of batteries we're using, but they're the same this company always uses, and has not had problems, before.  They are non-rechargeable.  We also thought about the "bad batch" of batteries, but pulled a different box of batteries, from a different order, and it didn't help.

This theatre has the same sound designer/engineer for most of their shows; I'm not sure where he's put the wireless receiver, but I would guess in the same place he always has before.  Could be wrong, of course.  I'll bring that one up as an option.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:06 pm »
How and where are they stored when not in use (not only between performances but also between productions)? If these are house owned mic packs, I'd imagine they are stored together and if they were to get some damage, they could all receive the same damage.

Personally, it sounds to me like the units themselves are faulty and not the batteries. If the packs are drawing all the juice out of the battery at a rapid speed, it might be a short in the pack themselves. And like I said, if they were stored together it stands to reason they would all suffer the same damage. 

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:22 pm »
One possibility is major interference.
What frequency band are these in?
Philip LaDue