Author Topic: POLICIES: Giving over paperwork mid-run  (Read 6533 times)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
POLICIES: Giving over paperwork mid-run
« on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:22 am »
Has anyone been asked to either give your prompt book over to a potential replacement actor (I only have 1 script for blocking and cues) OR been asked to turn over all paperwork regarding running the show to the producers mid-run?

I've never been asked either of these things until this weekend, and both concern me, though for different reasons.

Edit to subject-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2011, 05:12 pm by Rebbe »
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Giving over paperwork
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:04 pm »
I would never give my book to an actor. I would offer to have it photocopied for them to learn blocking etc from, but never hand it over. Same with the producers.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:21 pm »
Well I agree completely. I had a sub in when the request was made, so that made matters even more awkward. The bigger issue is that they replaced an actor before informing him that he had been replaced and haven't told me anything about the matter.

This is also why I am questioning why they have asked for all of my "technical paperwork" for the show.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:10 pm »
I would have no objection if I were allowed to bill them for the cost of making the photocopies--including paying me my usual hourly rate as I stand there, pushing the button and flipping the pages, then re-assembling the binder.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: POLICIES: Giving over paperwork mid-run
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:26 pm »
I have never been asked to give an actor my book, though I have been asked to give them their blocking.  I agree that copying it for them might be possible, but I would prefer to talk the actor through it and let them make their own notes.  That way they don't have to struggle to understand my notations, they can make notes in their own style on their own blank script, and they can ask questions/get answers all at the same time.

As for the producer asking for paperwork mid-run, perhaps this is something that is usually done at the beginning but was forgotten?  It seems like good practice to have backup copies of vital documents like runsheets, and even the SMs call book.  Maybe they just need reassurance that you leave these items at the theater, in case there is an emergency and you can't make it in.  I think these things do belong to the production rather than the SM, and that it is fair to charge for the cost of printing/copying if they don't have an office at the theater where you can do those things.   
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:22 pm »
Although it may seem weird for the producers to ask for it - they do own it . . . so it seems their right to ask for paperwork.

Is the purpose to look at future productions?  replace you?  etc, etc?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:33 pm »
timing on this does seem weird - and yes, I'd photo copy before handing off but also wd ask why - whole things seems a bit paranoid, that you will run off w paperwork - but what use to them if you are staying? Weird

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:02 am »
Although it may seem weird for the producers to ask for it - they do own it . . . so it seems their right to ask for paperwork.

Is the purpose to look at future productions?  replace you?  etc, etc?

I suppose it depends if you are an employee or sub-contractor (at least in Aus it could be argued along these lines). If I am paid to Stage Manage XYZ production and I am a sub-contractor (I invoice for the job), there is room to argue that ownership of the prompt book reverts to the producers only after the final invoice is paid and that any intellectual property involved belongs to me (depending on the contract of course, most have clauses signing across IP).

If I was an employee, then yes, the book is theirs throughout the run.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:51 am »
Given she is AEA, I was assuming she was on an AEA contract for the show in question . . . in which she would be considered an employee.

Yes, if you were an independent contractor, then I would be much more hesitant to hand anything over.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:20 pm »
The show is actually a showcase, and after this week it is extending and rolling over to a Transition for 3 weeks.

My reservations that something was going on were valid as it turns out: At our Monday performance, two SMs (one who I know very well and one who I know by name only) were brought in to observe the show and given copies of the script and my paperwork. Both were given offers to PSM or ASM the show (whichever they preferred after watching), despite my having accepted the offer made in writing to me.

I'm working with the business rep for the Transition part of things, and hopefully it will be resolved.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:32 pm »
I would like to hear how this turns out, and if you don't feel like public outlining, please drop me a line when the dust settles.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:25 am »
Thank goodness you have the offer in writing. And do let us know what happens.

riotous