Author Topic: FORMS: Performance Report Attendance Listing  (Read 5203 times)

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
FORMS: Performance Report Attendance Listing
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:42 pm »
So, now having some downtime, actually a lot of down time between gigs (whenever the next one will come), I've finally got the chance to reformat paperwork. Something I've wanted to do for awhile but not had the chance. It's also giving me busy-work. I've scoured all of the threads and looked at all of the report examples in the Form's section, but not finding the information on this topic that I'm looking for. How do some of you report your attendance in your performance reports? Do you list all of your crew and their positions (i.e. Light Board: Tom Smith; A2: Brad Knight; Run Crew: Billy Bones; etc.)? Do you list all of your actors that are present? Do you only list those actors/crew who are absent and/or late? Do you list who is doing front of house? Actors in/out (roles/understuding/swinging)? etc. etc. etc.

I know this could be done lots of different ways, but just trying to get a good consensus. I know that it's possible that theatre's/company's may have there own preference. But what do some of you do when you're not give an upper-management preference? I'd be especially curious to know for those of you who have worked on any Broadway shows or Off-Broadway shows on how it may be structured.

Thanks for any insights!

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Re: FORMS: Performance Report Attendance Listing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:29 pm »
My personal preference is to list calling stage manager and on deck crew (including ASM) on the bottom of every report as a footer.

Other than that I only list crew/etc if it is a shadowing, or an absence/put in "Michael shadowed Spot 1 today in preparation for running the show 2/28" or "Allie in for Amy as RONNIE, scheduled put in"

The only upper management input I've had is to be consistent of putting it in the same place as GMs often use it to confirm who needs to be payed for put-ins, etc.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:03 pm »
My personal preference is to list calling stage manager and on deck crew (including ASM) on the bottom of every report as a footer.

Like --- Calling SM: Bob Smith; ASM: Dexter Green; Run Crew: Laura Pots, etc.? Would this go just above your CC distribution list in the footer?

Other than that I only list crew/etc if it is a shadowing, or an absence/put in "Michael shadowed Spot 1 today in preparation for running the show 2/28" or "Allie in for Amy as RONNIE, scheduled put in"

Do you have a separate section for this, or do you put it in let say a "General/Artistic/Technical" section(s), depending on the type of note?

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:30 am »
It really does depend on upper management.

One company I worked for required that I listed the entire cast and crew at the end of every report. It was in a corporate setting, so the cast and crew were always changing; ie, there may be 5 people trained for a performer track or crew track.

When I'm freelancing, I will only note any changes from the regular tracks. I have a small attendance section where I enter it at the top of every report. It will usually just note 'Regina George IN for Mary'.

One show I worked on was a bit more complex; the principle roles had US, who were minor roles, and each US had a US for that minor role, who was in the chorus. The chorus had 2 swings to cover tracks, and would reblock as needed pending on who was out. For this, I had a daily IN/OUT sheet that I used. It would list who was in or out, who was playing what role, and which 'reblock track' we were in. It was basically a cast list with the names rearranged every day. The choreographer had decided how the chorus should adjust and cover for missing members, so essentially we had a handful of versions of the show. So the chorus would know that we were in a 15 dancer reblock and would know how to adjust accordingly. I would not recommend this system, as it got to be a lot of paperwork.

I did, however love using the daily IN/OUT sheet, as it was a breeze to pin it up and let it be, and could easily be referenced later. If you'd like, I can send you the template that I used for this.
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:24 am »
Agreed with Branden.  For shows with multiple people who run the crew or cast tracks, I've had a section of the report dedicated to who was in what position for that show.  It helps on a long running show both with issues tracking and is also used for payroll.

For shows with a set team, I would only list something if it was a change (a vacation cover, swing out, understudy on, etc), though I always leave a line up top for calling SM (and sometimes Audio Mix).  The table I use lists who is in, who is out, what the role is and what the reason is.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 am »
Branden & LizzG,

Thanks for you input! Makes some good sense.

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2015, 01:27 pm »
I usually list the SM and Director at the top of the page, and the House Manager (who typically sends their own report for the theatres I work for).

On the first performance report, I list the names and positions of my crew at the bottom...
ASM:
Deck Crew:
LBO:
SBO:
Spot Ops:
Wardrobe:
Hair and Makeup:

And then only edit them if something is different, so Designers are able to know why something may have been different.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:59 pm »
Thanks VilleSM!

riotous