Author Topic: PEOPLE: What do you want to tell Actors???  (Read 17375 times)

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to tell Actors???
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2006, 02:47 pm »
During notes after a long tech, just take the note.  If the director tells you messed something up we don't need to hear you explain how you messed it up or you thought you were right the way you did it. The director is giving you the note because he saw something was wrong. If you feel you need to argue the point wait till the end of notes when everyone is released.  Don't waste the time of everyone else, some of us still have hours of work to do after the rehearsal that we can't do until the notes are done.  Just take the note and question at the end.

That and

While I dont mind being your friend remember my top priority is the integrity of the show how the director set it in rehearsal.  I'm here to listen if you have problems and to resolve any issues that may arise, but I can't compromise the shows integrity because you try to appeal to me as a friend.  We can be friends outside of rehearsal, but during call times I am your stage manager and you have to treat me as the job dictates.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2006, 03:46 am »
if you know the prop is broken let me know too

though "just take the note" is definately right up there!!!

ChaCha
ChaCha

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2006, 11:35 am »
In addition to letting me know about the broken prop...let me know that the prop is broken BEFORE places the next performance. 
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:13 pm »
In addition to letting me know about the broken prop...let me know that the prop is broken BEFORE places the next performance. 

How it broke would be nice to know too, cause if it broke easily by you just picking it up we need to know so we can get something more durable.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:56 pm »
n addition to letting me know about the broken prop...let me know that the prop is broken BEFORE places the next performance.

AMEN!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Ellen B.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:27 am »
"Joining this show at the last minute has really screwed me.  Even though I've been with it since the second rehearsal, it is a difficult show that I had no prep time for.  I'm doing my best to catch up and help you guys have a good show."

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:48 am »
I recently discovered that a  "There are 46 of you, and only one of me- please be patient."  with a smile (or sometimes a grimace) and a pat calms everyone down nicely.

I think knowing that they WILL get a turn to have their voices heard and that they WILL be taken care of is helpful.

Also, I tell them that unless they write it down (whatever it is) or they witness me writing it down- it doesn't count, it never happened!

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2006, 10:27 am »
"I know you have a long rehearsal day - because I am here an hour before your call, and in all likelihood, will still be here for an hour after you are released."

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:46 pm »
"When I say 0900 I mean we start at 0900. That means that you should be there at 0858 at the latest. If you want to chat with someone, or get comfortable, make yourself a cup of tea or some other task, you get there at 0845. If I wanted to start at 0905, then I would have written 0905 on the call sheet. And I don't care if you are the director, you agreed to 0900, so you should at least have the decency to turn up on time. And if you are going to be late due to traffic or some other disaster, I have a mobile phone, and you have my number."

As one can guess from the rather rant-ish "thing I would say" I am a bit annoyed at late people at the moment. My cast of 15 (plus director) were ALL late today. And not just 1 or 2 minutes late.... the first person to come in was 5 minutes late and had the audacity to say "Oh, great, I'm not late" - I had been there since 0530 (Which naturally puts me in a bad mood anyway - because NO ONE should be up at that time of the morning) and was exhausted already by the time they were meant to start - and I knew I would be there till late (I just got home and it is now 0230 the next morning) so grrrr... If I was going to say one thing to actors at the moment, it would be "BE ON TIME!"

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2006, 02:14 pm »
"And I don't care if you are the director, you agreed to 0900, so you should at least have the decency to turn up on time. And if you are going to be late due to traffic or some other disaster, I have a mobile phone, and you have my number."

Preach it!

I have noticed that directors who do not begin rehearsal on time encourage lateness in actors.  Which I then have to deal with even into performances.
"This time for sure."

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:47 pm »
How about...  I am on your side!  I am not out to get you!  If it seems like I am, bring it to my attention!!!

Ditto to that. Additionally I would say please pay attention to e-mails and items on the call board and respond when a response is requested.  :)

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:49 pm »
If I've posted a sign-in sheet, you should sign in when you arrive.  If I had the time to hunt everyone down I wouldn't have posted the sheet.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

lydiaelaine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SELU
  • Current Gig: 3rd Annual Hammond Horror Festival: 24 Hour Play Festival
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:02 pm »
We had our first read thru for 4.48 Psychosis last night. When the director asked if I had anything to add all I could say was "Don't make me call looking for you. I have enough to do without having to worry about why you are missing. If I don't get a call at least 2 hours before call, you had better be there. It's all I ask."         Especially since it's an ensemble performance. If one actor is missing, the rehearsal is a waste.
Stage manager: Totally responsible for everything.

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2006, 04:11 pm »
I am not your mother, your grandmother, your nanny, or your servant. Keep your section of the X(Dressing Room, Green Room, etc.) clean and pick up your own sh*t.
Derek A. Fuzzell

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:54 am »
Just because I am backstage does not mean that I am there to tell you when to go on, nor I am I there to tell you to be quiet, but if on some occassion I do tell you to be quiet do not look at me like "Who the hell are you?"
Derek A. Fuzzell