Author Topic: ANIMALS: Working with Dogs  (Read 4806 times)

KGDwyer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
ANIMALS: Working with Dogs
« on: Jun 10, 2013, 08:34 pm »
Hello all!

I'm in a rehearsal process for The Two Gentlemen of Verona and we have (4) dogs cast to play the role of Crab.  The 4 dogs will alternate performances due to the lengthy run and fact that they were hired with the provision of having the owner present for the entire time they are with us.

Looking for some advice from anyone who has worked with dogs before, particularly with double cast dogs or with dogs in outdoor venues (we perform in a park).

Tips, tricks, code words, and favorite treats are all welcome.  Thanks!

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013, 09:47 pm by Maribeth »

Sarah.E

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Boston University
Re: Working with Dogs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2013, 03:51 am »
I've only worked with dogs in a simpler setting (Wizard of Oz, one dog, in highschool). But what the owner/trainer emphasized and proved to be key for us was to be sure to have the dog bond to the actors who interacted with it. Having the dog get to know them (in our case Dorothy and the Travelling Salesman, as Toto was played by a human actor in Oz), and spend a good amount of time with them made the dog want to go to Dorothy when released. The owner was also sure to have the dog practice taking commands from its 'scene partners' extensively, again so it would look toward them for direction. Basically, we had the dog in rehearsal several times a week to get to know the company and bond with Dorothy. Of course, our dog belongs to a woman whose two passions in life were breeding Cairn terriers and training them to play Toto, and had the time to attend rehearsals.
On the treats note, be sure to ask the owners how the dogs will react to the treat of choice; something meaty is always a favorite but it makes some dogs gassy. Our Toto got really gassy every night after the hotdog stealing scene.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2013, 08:44 am »
Contract a professional trainer...
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

audreysurp

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2013, 11:35 am »
I did Legally Blonde the musical and we had three dogs. Two Bruisers (alternating) and one Rufus. The first thing we did was made sure all the dogs got along well, we also had a dog handler to make sure things went smoothly. She wasn't specially trained but she handled things well and she grew to love the dogs over the run of the show.
Also make sure the actors that are in direct contact with the dogs get a lot of time, maybe a full rehearsal, to play with the dogs: find out how they like to be pet, held, played with, etc.
Our dogs were specially trained to not bark. If you have dogs that bark, make sure they aren't just hanging out back stage because that could cause a big mess.
Make sure the dogs get walked at some point during the show. Most dogs are content with napping for hours, but schedule a time for the dog to take a potty break during the show (with its owner or handler).
Lots of doggy treats. Always give the dogs a treat when they get off stage.
Don't let the handler/owner be off stage in the sight line of the dog. The dog will simply be looking at them the entire time.
Depending on the breed, you may be dealing with a lot of slobber. I can tell you from experience that french bull dogs love to slobber and chew on EVERYTHING. Watch out for this to make sure they don't get their paws on some props or furniture!

Just a few things I picked up. 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2013, 11:38 am »
I don't know the show, so I cannot comment on specifics - however....

Are these professionally trained dogs? If not - run away!

Professionally trained dogs seem to come in 2 varieties - those that follow instructions from their trainer only, and those who will do what they are told by almost anyone. The first type are almost a dream to work with, but their choreography tends to be limited as the dog and trainer need to be able to "communicate"... the second type can be a bit more difficult to work with but also more versatile.

Follow the trainers instructions - especially when it comes to treats - since reward often forms an integral part of the behavioural training of dogs.

Using multiple dogs can be a bit of a risk - especially with dogs that do not know each other. Dogs are very territorial. The fact that your casts costumes will continually smell of other dogs may be slightly distracting to the dogs - so make sure you do some rehearsals where clothing has been worn with the other dogs.

Finally - make sure your cast have access to those sticky roller things to get rid of dog hair.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2013, 12:08 am »
Agree with whatever everyone says above. I suggest a crew member to float with the handler in case something goes wrong or they need emergency treats/water/whatever.

riotous