Author Topic: PEOPLE: Actors' agents and managers  (Read 5336 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: Actors' agents and managers
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 01:24 am »
Is there any reason a stage manager should have to deal with an actor's agent or manager?  

I'm starting to work with relatively famous people occasionally, who obviously don't give out their personal contact information.  I usually get a voice mail number for the actor (I think) and their agent's and manager's numbers; I would always call the voice mail number, right?  The producer/company manager deals with agents and managers, right?

I'm a bit unclear on what it is the agent/manager does for an actor on contract, as opposed to getting them auditions.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:35 am by PSMKay »
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Actors' agents and managers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 01:34 am »
The only time I've had to work with an agent/manager is when the producer failed to provide me a copy of the artists' rider.  Sometimes it is quicker to call the manager to get a copy, than to try and get it from the producer.

nmno

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 02:14 am »
I can' really think of a reason that would come up for you to call an agent/manager.  Usually they are involved in $$ type of discussions, and as SM I want no part of that. 
The agent/manager may negotiate on behalf of the actor for benefits (better housing, a private car, special accomodations for their dressing room, etc) but any information you need to know (eg, dressing room requests) should come to you from the company management/casting departments/producer, depending on the structure of your theatre/company.  Company Management, casting, producers, press department might need to call the agents so if you want to add their numbers to the contact sheet for their benefit you can...  at the regional level I usually leave that off.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 11:08 am »
In my current production, when I want the said actor to show up, I call his agent, his agent calls the performer.

Don't assume any rules, contact the actor/agent/manager and ask how the performer wants to be contacted.

Often with stars, we call the manager/voice mail/whatever daily to give them the call directly, as opposed to calling the hotline.  We also, often, talk before they leave to discuss availability the next day before I set the call.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:56 pm »
Interesting, cuz I work w stars a lot, and I call them directly. Once they are in my show and I need to reach them, I never ever go thru the agent/ manager (unless there is a prob w that star and I think the agent/manager can help). Curiously, I also have had a couple of agent/managers call me when they need to reach stars while we are in rehearsal (or pre-show) and don't pick up their calls or messages.

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:33 pm »
Looks like no definitive answer here.

I've dealt with all of the above situations - with both 'stars' and lesser celestials. My usual, once we have the Company in rehearsal, is to ask the artist how best to contact them. Most are happy to have the immediate Company Members know their home/cell numbers, but for Management to only know their Agent's.

Prior to first rehearsal, if I've only been given the Agent's number, I'll use that - and some have taken messages and some have given me their client's direct number, most especially when they find I'm the SM.

Once into rehearsal (in Canada) it is the actors' responsibility to know their calls - not that of SM to spend their post-rehearsal prep time in leaving messages. Most often that means that I leave the next day's calls on the Callboard, an email posting and, for those who may not be around once the call is set or near the net, posting it in the SM's voicemail.
SM'ing since God was a child.

riotous