Author Topic: MUSICALS: a musical  (Read 12250 times)

butch

• New to Town
    • View Profile
a musical
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2006, 02:42 pm »
I just got finished with a 25er. I had two ASM's. Actually scratch that, I had one ASM and one paper weight. The one fuctional ASM i had was actually doing to the work of two people quite well. I have started begging him to come with me to my next gig, where I have six shows, around 25-30 people for each, and as of now, no contracted ASM. Hooray for not being equity! Oh well, this past show was actually my first with an ASM, ever.

DAE

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
a musical
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2006, 02:57 pm »
Hi.

One piece of advice I have not seen posted that I feel is very important is HAVE FUN!!!

Yes, Musicals are more complicated, difficult, and streesful, but they are also some of the most rewarding projects I've done in my career.

Good Luck and Enjoy Yourself!

Dan

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
a musical
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2006, 02:40 pm »
yeah we usually have 30-ish in a cast...my last play I had 32 cast, 5 techies and an orchestra of 14, the orchestra is pretty self sufficient tho......we would cast more but I don't think we have that many people that can act and halfway sing at my school  :D
-isha
~isha

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
a musical
« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2006, 04:59 pm »
When I did Aida in DC we had 150 cast members (principals, coro, supers & dancers) 75-ish in the Orchestra and I dont know how many crew.  It was crazy and I loved it.

I do mostly musicals and I'm at the point where they are easier for me than regualr plays.  The "musical approach" has just become second nature to me now.  I find Shakespeare/Classical to be about the same.

I usually only have 1 ASM (except for opera and summer stock) and it works fine.

LOVE MUSICALS... HAVE FUN
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Melugin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
a musical
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2006, 08:45 pm »
it's only 71 people because i everyday i deal with my director, who, last year was a choir teacher at a junior high school. So, most of these sophmores who were in her classes last year, as freshman, are now with her and drama. blah. yeah. can you tell why i started a "how the heck do you get 71 people to be quiet" post? yeah. Ideas are good for me. 8O  :twisted:

guess what the sick part is.... I have ONE ASM. and, i still have to find out how to graduate from high school this year... hmmmm... let me ponder that thought forever... jk. but yeah. ONE ASM, and a director who can't run a productive rehearsal for her LIFE, and i open my show in two days. TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i don't even know why i'm on the internet. i still have so much to do. see ya!
-liz
If All the World's a Stage, i want to operate the Trap Door!

riotous