Author Topic: SOUND: MP3 Use Permission Form?  (Read 2946 times)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
SOUND: MP3 Use Permission Form?
« on: Aug 30, 2018, 06:42 pm »
We use tracks at this theatre rather than a live orchestra, and get them all at the start of rehearsal to practice with. Sometimes actors request to "check out" (download) these tracks to practice with on their own time. I've been told we used to have a permission form to go along with this access, something where the actor promised to only use them for rehearsal and not in other performances, but can not find it paper or digital format.

Putting aside how difficult it is to enforce such a policy, has anyone else used such a form/system, and does anyone have a template (that I couldn't find with some quick googling)?

Edited to add topic tag - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 09:05 pm by Maribeth »
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: MP3 Use Permission Form?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2018, 08:15 am »
I agree with you that it will be damned near impossible to enforce, but still I think important to do if for no other reason than to absolve the production company of any liability against improper use/distribution of copyrighted material. 

If your production company has an attorney on retainer for anything you may suggest that the language be authored or vetted by them.  Off the cuff though I'd suggest points where the actor acknowledges that it's copyrighted material and that it can only be used for the duration of and for purposes directly related to the production.  I would also include language stating the the actor agrees to destroy / delete the data following conclusion of use.  Should allegations of improper use ever be leveled against the production company, having obtained an affirmative commitment from the actor would help the production company demonstrate they've taken reasonable steps to protect the copyright holder's interests.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt