Author Topic: MORALE: Cast Gifts/Thank Yous?  (Read 35656 times)

TheatreRacer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
MORALE: Cast Gifts/Thank Yous?
« on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:28 am »
I am currently Stage Managing my first professional show, and I have heard that the Stage Manager usually gives gifts/flowers/thank you cards, etc to the cast. I never did this is high school or college, so I am curious as to whether this is actually approriate and what would be the best thing to give a cast. Is a Thank You card enough?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 03:09 am by PSMKay »

nmno

Re: Cast Gifts/Thank Yous?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008, 03:24 am »

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:29 am »
Never feel pressured to give your cast and crew gifts etc. "opening night" cards are a tradition of a sort (in that they are a sort of "good luck" charm) however they are no where near essential.

If you do not feel comfortable with it, do not do it.

There is no rule that says "Cast and crew must receive gifts from Stage Management on the first night"

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:00 pm »
It's always been my experience that last thing I have time to do prior to opening is worry about individual gifts for the cast.  Also, it's important to remember that if you're going to give gifts to the cast, you should also include the crew, musicians, etc... as to not show favor to one element of the company. 

A simple and elegant alternative that I've used in the past is to provide something like a fruit/veggie tray in the green room for the entire company to enjoy.  This shows the company you're thankful for their work, includes everyone involved, and also requires very little time and effort on your part.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:07 pm »
To me you should never feel pressured to give gifts.  Personally I like giving out something as it helps let others know I appreciated working with them.  Mind you I have had some shows I didnt give out gifts because I didnt really care for some of the cast as a whole.  It really just comes down to personal preference as to whether you want to do something nice for those you worked with.

As for ideas i tend to give out simple cards with a message i write that relates to the show.  Some gifts I have gotten from an SM was a candle holder (cheap at dollar stores) or small box of candy.  Often if you can find a way to connect the gift to content of the show it adds a little extra personal touch.  But still sometimes just a thank you card is enough.

camogirl

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 04:47 am »
I always bake cookies or brownies. The homemade touch really seems to help.

Also everyone is more willing to overlook the mistakes of someone who brought in three dozen cookies. ;D

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:55 am »
I tend to do cards for opening and rarely do actual gifts.  If I don't have time, then sometimes I'll do closing-night cards instead.

Typically I bake throughout the rehearsal process and run but usually skip opening or opening weekend because quite often others take that opportunity to bring in goodies.  I like to think my baking throughout tends to be the gift to those I work with.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:14 pm »
I normally do Starbucks gift cards for everyone in the cast and crew.  However that can get very expensive very quick.  Another thing I have done is Sharpies with the name and run of the show printed on them.  At other times I do nothing.  It all depends on how I feel. 
Peace,

Chops

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:24 am »
The cast and crew appreciate food, trust me. ;)
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:50 am »
i used to do cards on opening, but like others said, i just don't always have the time to think about that at that time. i now do a small gift for closing - a photo of curtain call in a frame. i always put the show, theatre, and year on the back. it's quick, simple, and more likely to be kept than a card.

jemason

• New to Town
  • To survive in theatre, you need a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:13 pm »
Interesting... I always wanted to go to the farmer's market and get flowers for everyone for opening night - but it never happened.  Instead, the stage managers just collect $ from everyone and give the director a present themed to the play during the cast party after the last performance. 
I stage manage, therefore I am.

HRKelly

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:43 pm »
I always find that a waffle brunch sometime during the performance run when things are lower key is well received  ;D But yes, do not forget the tech side. Granted it's hard to get every individual if you work in a huge company, but a gift of, say, chocolates or at least a thank you card to each tech department is always appreciative.

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:07 am »
This is a dangerous precedent... a nice note next to the sign in sheet to everyone, plenty. No one would appreciate it if I baked, and I do not have the time or money to do something for everyone. On the road, I sometimes get funny postcards from wherever we are and give them, but some cities just aren't funny (Red Bank, NJ pops to mind).

Not to be corny, but your best gift is a smooth run show.

I do like the idea of a "platter" as long as there is a place to put it that does not end up being a mess backstage or getting all over the frocks.

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:41 pm »
I think as long as the cast/crew/everyone knows that you are grateful for their help in opening a show that is good.  If that means a note on the callboard and a couple of bags of candy that's good.  If you have the time and give everyone a note then that's fine too.

thtstagemanager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 02:11 pm »
Thats a choice best made by you.

Sometimes I have 40-80 kids in a cast, I don't want to write that many thank you's nor do i have the time or money to do this.   I say bake cookies, or give them some community candy.  That is the best most inexpensive way to do something nice with items you can probably find at home. 

Another choice is the newbielink:http://www.orientaltrading.com [nonactive] has everything dirt cheap from mini umbrellas to any kind of key chain you can imagine. 

Let's not forget Hugs are Free!

riotous