Author Topic: Meet your mod!  (Read 5329 times)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Meet your mod!
« on: Jun 17, 2006, 01:17 am »
Hello from your moderator!

A little bit about myself:
I am in my first year in the graduate program at UCSD pursuing my MFA in stage management.  For the past 3 1/2 seasons, I was the Production Stage Manager for the Grand Rapids Ballet Company and also did freelance work for community theatres around town and snagged the occasional choreography and directing job when I can.  In a not-too-distant previous life I was a figure skating coach and student. 

What should be posted on this board?
It seems like a pretty broad topic, but the title should be self explanatory -- anything pertaining to plays and musicals.  Concerns or questions about how to deal with actors, directors, designers, or other company members, issues with how to call a difficult show, problems with the nature of a venue or rehearsal hall, how to do a production analysis, what do with a new play....all examples of the kinds of things you can talk about here.

Please look at the other forums before you post!
Do you have a question about what brand of gaff tape is better?  Post that on "tools of the trade."  Are you unsure about how to refer to company members in an opera?  Post that under "Stage Management: Other."  Need help with your resume?  Stick it on "Employment."  Wanna talk about something not related to stage management at all?  Post in "The Green Room."  Topics of that nature that get posted here will get moved to those other forums.  Also, a question you might be wanting to post may show up in one of those forums. 

Any particular rules?
None but the usual.  Plese refrain from excessive use of bad language, trash-talking, or awful gossip.  Please know this is a public forum -- anyone can read, anyone can post. 

All that said...
Keep the good discussion coming!  It is always good when we are forced to think about our jobs - so feel free to challenge each other with difficult questions and issues!
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008, 10:03 am by BalletPSM »
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!