Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Call Times  (Read 5563 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
COMMUNICATION: Call Times
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:19 am »
In what way do you give the cast/crew their call time for the next day?

At school I've always swing by the theatre department to post that day's schedule (which also doubles as a sign-in sheet) before I leave for class or whatever I have planned before rehearsal. If any changes are made I would write in/cross out/whiteout the changes, then only contact the people who would be affected by the change. If i'm unable to drop by the theatre department for any reason, I contact my ASM to make the changes on the callboard.

I also send out weekly schedule via email. But at the first cast/crew meeting I tell them that those schedules sent by email are subject to change and to always rely on checking the callboard or contact Stage Management.

Edited to add topic tag - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2014, 12:23 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Call Times
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:58 am »
The standard now seems to email the call when it's set, typically 12-hours prior to the call - some theaters also do a hotline where you call in, but many theaters are doing away with that.

Often when you get to show calls, unless there is something special with that call - a stage manager will do away with the specific daily call break down.

One may indeed be posted on the call board, but who is going to go to work to find out what time their call is - to come into work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:10 am »
That does make a lot of sense, "going to work to find out what time their call is - to come into work". It is a good thing i rely more on email/call then the actual callboard for call times.

Because it's a school setting, a good number of the actors cross by the theater department anyway.

I recently came across a problem my last production with a few actors signing-in way before they need to. Sometimes even hours before their call or even before the start of the rehearsal.

Have you ever experienced something similar to this?

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:43 am »
In addition to printed/emailed schedules, I'll announce at that night's rehearsal or tech what time the next day's call is.  I get the cast (and later crew) in the habit of not leaving until they've checked in/out with the stage manager and thereby get the latest call information.  Those that aren't present get email/text reminders.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:04 am »
SMS & Email for me. I use a service called readytosms (I think they may be australia only) which takes an excel spreadsheet and ready 2 columns (number and message) - so I have my call spreadsheet which I email out a PDF copy, also use a formula to "compose" an individual SMS for each cast member with their call times. When I moved to AV I used a similar method to distribute the next 3 days calls each afternoon.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:39 am »
One of the rehearsal rules we mention to them (and emphasize) at the first rehearsal is that the cast/crew is required and needs to check in and confirm with stage management before they leave. At that time I also confirm their call time for the next day when i say good night to them.

For small to medium casts, I call/text them reminders of their next day's calls. But for larger casts, its their responsibility to check the schedule and contact stage management for questions or concerns.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2014, 12:08 pm »
I, for one, would get OUT of the habit of announcing the next days call prior to sending it out at the end of the day.

You might be able to tell the possible span, but a lot of the time, when you get to the end of the day, you might have to change the call - add a costume fitting, adjust someone's call - and then you have to think - wait, who did I tell when - and then have to contact them to tell them, "Hey, check the call - you are now coming in earlier".  I have fallen into the trap of actor saying "Oh, you told me 7:00p, so I didn't even check the call".

What I do say is "It looks like your call will be 6:00p, but check the call tonight to confirm."

It just ends all confusion by putting out one call sheet with all the calls, and gives you the freedom to make the best call possible.

Post Merge: Jul 28, 2014, 12:09 pm
And - putting up a sign in sheet too early does lead to the problem of people signing in and leaving . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2014, 12:48 pm »
Thankyou. That is really good advice.