Author Topic: REPORTS: Including Human Error  (Read 7898 times)

shamrock7

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
REPORTS: Including Human Error
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just opened a show last night so of course all the higher ups of the company I am working for were in the audience. During the show I am responsible for running both the sound and light boards. Last night was the first time I have ever made the mistake of hitting the back button instead of the go button. The lighting designer came in and helped me fix the problem and showed me after the show how to troubleshoot the issue.

When filling out my report for the evening I considered including this incident but decided against it since it was human error and I was shown how to fix the problem. Since last night I have gotten a call asking why I had not included this incident in the report.

My question to you all is have you ever included human error in a report? And if so how did you phrase it cause I couldn't think of any way of saying it other than the stage manager messed up and it wouldn't happen again.

Thanks.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
Re: REPORTS: Including Human Error
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:24 pm »
I would certainly include anything that was noticeable onstage, which it sounds like this was.  I would probably phrase it as "Instead of hitting the go button to take L 21, the back button was hit and x happened.  Operator Error." or something like that.

We note everyone else, so noting ourselves is only fair. 

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:36 pm »
Here's a thread about how honest we are about what we include in reports and what we don't (and why).

I would include a cueing error, either due to my own mistake or a board op's, because the report should be an accurate reflection of what happened in the show. If I were in your situation, I would say something like, "LQ30 was late- SM pressed the back button instead of GO. LD helped us get back in the right cue."

I usually put what happened, how it was fixed or dealt with, and what steps will be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again. I try to be as unemotional about it as possible, and not "blame" anyone. (i.e. "LQ30 was 2sec early due to board op error." or "The onstage QC was long because the pajamas were not unbuttoned ahead of time. SM will double check in the preset for future performances."

Mistakes happen. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Another relevant thread, about noting our own mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:53 am by Maribeth »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13 pm »
aren't most errors in the report human error?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54 pm »
Yes, read the info in the linked thread But, especially as the higher ups were in the house, it is vital for them to know you will give an honest report that they can depend on, so if there are problems they can know they are being informed, and solved / handled responsibly.

And yes, your own screw-ups count as being worth mention. It means you saw them, you acknowledged them, and you have fixed them. And that you are human. And honest. And are capable of having a sense of humor and moving on with things, not getting stuck.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 05:37 pm »
And yes, your own screw-ups count as being worth mention. It means you saw them, you acknowledged them, and you have fixed them. And that you are human. And honest. And are capable of having a sense of humor and moving on with things, not getting stuck.

The ability and WILLINGNESS to take fault when it is your fault is a respectable skill. It's not enough that you only report your needs from departments. You have to document the way the show happened that night. As others said, it's about finding a matter-of-fact way to note what happened without blaming or chastising anyone, and to take note of how it was solved in the moment and the steps to prevent in the future.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04 pm »
I think also one of the key things is, to make the noting simple too! I'm in Shamrock's situation as well. I'm also responsible for running lights and sound. For instance, tonight were I also opened a show, I had two sound cues that I executed late. I simply noted it as "SQ 17 & 33 were late." I also think that depending on one's situation, especially if they are performing extra duties, simplicity is the best when you're trying to not things down. Especially when your attention has to be in so many different places at once.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:54 pm »
But I wouldn't be opposed to give a bit of explanation.

SQ 17  - Late SM Calling
SQ 45 - Late (Actors Flubbed Cue Line - Note Given)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:18 am »
Agreed! And I tried to as best as possible. But sometimes in the heat of things...!

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:31 pm »
Always always always...

On shows when I am not running a board, just calling, I note operator errors (i.e. SQ F fired with SQ E due to double-tap) so I also hold myself accountable (i.e. LQ 23 was called late - SM error). Occasionally I'll give a reason why it was late (I was watching the show, was having a sneezing fit), but more often than not, I don't.  I make sure to put my own errors in because my reports typically go to everybody running the show as well as the "higher-ups." I need to hold myself to the same standard I hold everyone else to.

When I'm an operator, though, it becomes doubly important to hold yourself accountable - you don't want to get lazy. But occasionally things happen. And yes, it should still be in the report - even if it was only by seconds. Seconds can make huge differences in some shows!
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2014, 03:13 pm »
I've actually been told that I am too specific with my calling notes. I used to try to be too thorough and would have things like "SQ 21 was one beat late" which I've come to realize is overkill, especially when it's a cue with a 40-second fade. I was trying to hold myself accountable, but I realized that nobody cared about insignificant things like that. So I've tried to pare it down and will only note the ones that matter. It just took me a while to decide which ones matter.

For instance - I call the lights-up after a blackout too early, and actors are seen exiting the stage? That needs to be noted. I screwed up and therefore what the audience saw is not in line with what the director wanted. If it was a calling error, it's my fault. However, if the sound board operator accidentally doubletaps, that's the operator's error and will be noted as such. Same way I'd note if an actor screwed up: "actor forgot bag of coins on the prop table. Since he can't pay his scene partner without the coins, he improvised the line 'hang on, I have to run to the bank,' exited to pick up his prop, and then continued the scene." or whatever.

Basically, if it makes the performance work differently than it's supposed to, it's worth noting. Especially if it's my fault - I'm responsible for making it all run smoothly, so when I screw that up I need to admit it.

riotous