Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Require cast to have an email?  (Read 10890 times)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
COMMUNICATION: Require cast to have an email?
« on: Sep 05, 2009, 11:43 am »
I'm just starting up a new show (Tom Stoppard's Arcadia). One of the actors doesn't have an email address. In this day and age, is it fair to require cast (and crew) to be accessible via email? I'll be maintaining tons of information on the web site I've created for show info, as well as sending out call info via email. Is the onus on the actor to stat using email, or is the onus on me to call this person 3 or 4 times a week?

I can't imagine how management of acting calls was done 10+ years ago.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 01:35 am by Rebbe »

nmno

Re: Require cast to have an email?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2009, 12:13 pm »
Is it weird for a person in this day and age to not have an email address?  Sure.  But I don't think you can require your actor to have one.  S/he may not have access to internet/computer for whatever reason.

In the "old days" (meaning 10 years ago when I was working at a regional theatre) we had a rehearsal hotline - a voicemail with an outgoing message, where you record the schedule for the next day and the actors are responsible to check it for their calls.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2009, 03:48 pm »
...and (speaking of old school) the callboard is that person's best friend, so you do have to print out the paperwork and post it.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2009, 03:52 pm »
I don't think it's that big of a deal to call the person.  It's only a 2-3 minute phone call, tops, a few times every week.  And if the rehearsals are planned well in advance, you just give them their printed schedule, tell them to post it on their refrigerator and only have to call them if there's major changes.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2009, 04:16 pm »
I wish we could do a callboard. We're a community theater, borrowing space in a church. Hmmm, maybe a small posterboard could be used as one. Well, we'll see how the group comes together at Tuesday evening's read-through. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2009, 06:16 pm »
I think assuming someone has access to the internet is a bad assumption - and all information should be accessible two ways anyway so there is a back up (like internet and a phone hotline.)

Working at certain levels, were actors are out of town, not everyone travels with a laptop or do the necessarily have internet access at their housing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Kristi

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2009, 11:05 pm »
I wish we could do a callboard. We're a community theater, borrowing space in a church. Hmmm, maybe a small posterboard could be used as one. Well, we'll see how the group comes together at Tuesday evening's read-through. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

For a show that I stage managed where a callboard was not available, I purchased a poster sized cork bulletin board to use as a portable one. It was around $10 at Target. This probably isn't the most practical idea if using any kind of public transit to get to rehearsal, but if you have a car you can just throw it in the back seat or trunk. I printed out several headings on bright colored cardstock and then could attach important information to the cork bulletin board with thumb tacks as needed.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2009, 11:54 pm »
I agree that you can not require an actor to have an email address.  And even if you could do that, you couldn’t require them to pay for internet service at home, or to actually check their email daily.  A rehearsal hotline is a great alternative option.  I delegate recording the hotline to an assistant.  If you have an ASM, maybe one of their jobs could be to keep an eye on your all-cast emails and call the email-less actor with the message.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2009, 11:40 am »

Effeciently and with a lot less lateness.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2009, 01:19 pm »
I actually giggled when the original poster asked if they cd require an actor to have email access - no offense, really - it's just, I am of an age when you typed everything up and ran off copies for all departments before you left at night, when calls to all the actors abt schedules happened daily (before hotlines even), when the daily changing info posted on the callboard and the nightly phone calls were considered SOP. (side note - yes, investing in a portable callboard is worth the $20 and definitely worth the hassle to schlep it - even in this day and age, there are theaters and tour housing without email access or local phone access, and people without cell phones. Really.) I seem to do a lot of shows with seniors and luddites, and we still use old school methods of info for at least 1-2 people in almost every cast.

No, you can't require an actor to have email, or a cell phone, or any other mode of direct contact. You CAN require them to be responsible for themselves, for checking w you and making sure they have the correct sched for the day - and to not complain abt suffering the consequences if things change and they can't be reached for notification.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2009, 01:39 pm »

The same way it's been done since the Greeks, communication.  Stage Management dates back long before the internet, cell phones, telephone and the telegraph.  Technology is a tool, not a crutch.  Use the tools you have to disseminate information so that the message reaches the intended audience.

In this situation, even if you "require" someone to have an email address, you can't force them to check it.  Many people resist change that's forced upon them; looking at the big picture it'll be much less of a headache for you to get the information to the parties in question in a manner they're comfortable with.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2009, 08:50 pm »
well sure you could require that everyone have an email address but the likelihood of that person checking their new email address regularly since they have never had one before is slim. Also even to expect that people who already have an email address is going to check their email regularly is a pretty lofty expectation. I have worked in community theater and although I really wanted to and really tried to implement an email only notification system it was nearly impossible because in community theater you are working with people that have day jobs many of which are not in front of a computer or near one. So they will not be able to check their email when not home. What I usually did was when getting contact info from the cast I would ask what the best way to communicate with each person is. Then I make a list for each one: email, phone call, text message.
hope that helps

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2009, 01:08 pm »
I actually giggled when the original poster asked if they cd require an actor to have email access - no offense, really

I did to - I was in college when I had my first email address, and that only because I knew a computer major who could rig my computer to log onto the school's server.  Then, it was a world of computer geeks typing (there were no pictures/graphics/etc) to each other.

I am the Secretary for a Board, and for the longest time there were two people whom I had to snail-mail their meeting minutes to them, since they didn't have email.  There is still one - the current President of the Board - who doesn't have email.

Also even to expect that people who already have an email address is going to check their email regularly is a pretty lofty expectation.

I agree, sending out an email is not a guarantee that the communication has been received on the other end.  Their internet went down/their computer died/they didn't go home/didn't have access to their computer/they only get internet at the library and it was closed - the list goes on and on.  I would recommend one of the above secondary measures to make sure that the calls are getting out.  I.e. getting a small portable callboard that you can put away in a closet/trunk/what ever every night, or setting up an answering machine with a message that folks need to check.  When I was on tour, I would often tape a callsheet to my hotel room door, and the actors knew that it was their responsibility to come read it every night for announcements.

The other thing this does is stresses that getting/finding their call is their responsibility - if an email is eaten by a server, then they can claim that it wasn't their fault.  If they don't call and check the message - then there is no one to blame but themselves.

-Centaura

ScoobyChitlin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:54 am »
As a high school student I read an 10-year-old stage management book before I was working on a show and it was so strange to read about how he recommended mailing his actors and "if you have access to a computer...". It was entertaining at least.

My point, past my intro there, was that for my current show I have a lot of kids without cell phones and email, so all of my notices are sent via email, text, and then printed out and placed on two different call boards in our two campus'. It's not the most ideal situation, but it works out great for getting the actors to where they need to be with what they need to have.

As a stage manager I think you have to accept that some people just don't have what others do and its your job to work around those to still have the best show you are able to do. Even if that means resorting back to the "stone ages". We shouldn't spoil ourselves with the tech of today and realize that techniques and tricks are what make us better at our craft.
It's kind of fun to do the impossible. ~ Walt Disney

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:10 am »
It turns out everyone in the cast has an email, the actor just didn't list it on his audition form. I have a web calendar and blog set up for the show that has all the information on it. At the initial read-through I asked that anyone who didn't have regular access to the web and/or email to talk with me. I also made it very clear if there was ever any doubt about a rehearsal time, call time, anything at all, etc... to call me. And so far, a couple people have called when they were (for whatever reason) away from their computer for the day. It's worked out well.

I have purchased a small (2' x 4') bulletin board I can use as a call board. I haven't needed it for rehearsals, but will have it set up for Tech Week and Performances.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts about communicating with the cast.