Author Topic: JOB DESCRIPTION: How to explain what we do...  (Read 9094 times)

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
JOB DESCRIPTION: How to explain what we do...
« on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:47 am »
I'm the Company Stage Manager at a small Equity Theatre company and I was asked by the Artistic Director to give a presentation to our board of directors at their next meeting.  I'm supposed to explain what a Stage Manager does, and then talk about why I'm excited for our upcoming production.  I always have difficulty explaining what I do - and this is a tough audience (a mix of people who know nothing about theatre, people who think they know a lot, and my bosses who do - and they're also the group of people that keep me employed).  I need to keep it interesting and fairly brief.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:28 am by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: How to explain what we do...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:49 pm »
I forwarded you a ppt presentation I used for my board presentation in Dallas.  (Sorry, it was too large to post here.)

If anyone else would like to see it, let me know, I can e-mail to you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:58 pm »
You may want to refer to this thread which, while taken from a more laid-back standpoint, gives a lot of different takes on "what we do."

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:31 pm »
I forwarded you a ppt presentation I used for my board presentation in Dallas.  (Sorry, it was too large to post here.)

Thanks!  That's a great presentation - and a great way to demonstrate the skills and strangeness involved - the sense of humor is great, as well.  This is a big help!

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:26 pm »
I had to do a brief intro of myself and what I do at one of our theatre board meetings - the Executive Director pretty much just wanted a few minutes of entertainment to liven the meeting up and me being the newbie, as well as an ex-roadie, got to be it.  I just did a few sentences describing what I did, accompanied by a couple of stories of unusual situations that I've had to handle that crop up in theatres.  I'm not sure what Matt's presentation held - but humor, plus an amusing short story or two, is probably your best bet.

My presentation was interesting - I am an ex-roadie, but I do not at all look like what you'd assume a roadie to look like, so there was a lot of reaction to that.  It just goes to show that if you grab their attention with something interesting - its becomes less about what you're doing, but more about you're an interesting person doing it.

-Centaura

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2009, 04:31 pm »
I did my presentation last night and it went really well.  I opted not to do a power point because I was told it should be more casual than that, but I came with my prompt script for our current show and the set model - which they really enjoyed.   I kept it fairly brief and talked about what I do (with specifics from the show I'm currently rehearsing) and why I love my job - everyone was interested and asked some good questions.  Most people were surprised the things I described weren't all done by the director...  At least I set them straight :)

madiobrien

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Mad Dog Theatrical Productions
  • Affiliations: Texas A&M, USITT
  • Current Gig: Texas A&M & San Pedro Playhouse
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 01:50 pm »

If anyone else would like to see it, let me know, I can e-mail to you.

i would like the presentation i too am always having trouble describing my job obrien.madi@gmail.com
Mad Dog.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 05:52 pm »
I would be really interested to see the power point as well!

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:28 pm »
As would I.

Thanks so much!
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:09 pm »
I am sorry that I haven't be able to respond to everyone that has requested the PPT, but after some thought, I would prefer that it not be openly posted on the web for everyone to download.  I would like some control over who I distribute it to.

I thank you for damjamkato for taking the time to post it, but I have edited his post to remove the link, and would prefer that my work not be just posted for anyone to have.  I would like to have some control over my work.

And on that note . . . I have posted it as a web presentation at http://www.stagemanager.net/10minutes.htm.  I will keep it for a while, and then take down eventually.  Please do not steal my work.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 11:47 pm by MatthewShiner »

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:02 am »
Matthew -

Thank you very much for posting your presentation. I thought you did a wonderful job of summing up what we do. I also thought you highlighted a "can not do without" part of a good stage manager's kit...a sense of humor  :).
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:23 am »
I loved your presentation! I think the next time my Uncle asks me for the 20th time, "can you please explain to me what you do again" I might draw the bubble diagram about who I am responsible to/work with. Oh, and I loved the bit about, and then everyone leaves me. that made me laugh.

Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.  ;D
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:46 am »
Matt,

How kind of you to post your presentation on your website for everyone to refer to!  The humor in it is completely and utterly Irreverent You.  If anyone else tries to use it, they will be unsuccessful, as it will immediately out them as having "borrowed" it, for no one else in this Stage Management world has YOUR sense of humor.

Have a great vacation, and don't bother sending that postcard that I know you already have addressed and stamped.  Just have a good time!

<snip>
And on that note . . . I have posted it as a web presentation at http://www.stagemanager.net/10minutes.htm.  I will keep it for a while, and then take down eventually.  Please do not steal my work.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2009, 10:26 am »
That's me . . . the Irreverent Stage Manager.

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:51 pm »
Matthew, sorry for posting it without your consent.  You're right, I would want control over who gets my work as well.

By the way, great presentation.

riotous