Author Topic: COMMUNICATION: Actors want more info, but can't process what they already have?  (Read 5636 times)

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
I ran into a confusing situation tonight.  I'm currently on a TYA tour.  My cast has told me that they feel they don't have enough information about our daily schedule.

Each night I email them the next morning's call time (email was their requested method, as I don't have unlimited texting and thus refuse to send 12 text messages nightly), that also includes the curtain times, which version of the show we are performing (we have two), and when we are taking the meal break (i.e. between shows, after load out, etc.).  Now at our company meeting tonight they brought up the point that they feel they are not getting enough information.  I pointed out that just this morning, despite the above mentioned items being in their daily email, I was asked by no less than 4 people whether we would be doing the long or short show.  I was then told, "Well, we get those emails every night, it's hard to keep it straight sometimes."

I'm thinking "You can't process the amount of information I'm currently giving you, but you somehow want more?"  I didn't even know how to respond to that without making it sound like I was calling them stupid.  I'm not really even sure what more they want in terms of information for the day, and I don't think they did either, as it did seem to take them a moment to recover when I asked them if they were reading the entire email, since things like which version of the show and when the meal break is occurring are covered in each email.   

They also said they realize I run things by the book, but they weren't entirely sure what all was in there, but somehow didn't seem to see that as being their fault.  Is it wrong of me to assume they should know certain things that are covered in both the TYA rulebook and the company's Standard Operating Procedures that they all get a copy of and that is discussed with them at a set meeting during the rehearsal process?

Needless to say it was a very frustrating evening that ended with me completely dumbfounded as to where to go next with them.

Edited subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 am by Rebbe »

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
Sounds tricky.
I was wondering wether they have some sort of hard copy overall schedule - a 'tour bible' if you will? Even a weekly version perhaps, containing all the things you are putting in the nightgly email but a week at a time. Maybe if they had something in their hot little hands they would feel more 'informed'?
ChaCha

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
They get the tour itinerary, which has the dates, venue location, performance times, and hotel information, which is really all they need.  The office discourages us from setting a daily schedule in advance, as things can change really quickly out here, and we all know that actors seem to have a hard time dealing with a change.  I can't count the number of times in the past when a director would set and want published a full daily schedule days, even weeks, in advance, and then actors freak out when that has to change.  And there have been days when I'll hear from a venue the day before about some change, or weather conditions coming up, etc that makes pre-planning call times more than a day in advance very tricky.

Sad to say, upon sleeping on it, that they are just looking for a way to cover their own mistakes.  Like I said, they tried to tell me they just want to know what's going on with things like the meal break, but when I pointed out that every day I have included that in the email I got the "can't keep them straight" response.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
In terms of their questions on the specifics of the TYA contract, perhaps a gentle reminder that they can access the TYA rule book by visiting AEA's website or go to the Deputy who should have a hard copy of the rule book.  Every contract has provisions that are slightly different than other contracts and while the SM should be doing things by the book, I think the actors should be responsible for double-checking something they have a question about by referencing the book or even calling the Rep.  I'm more than happy to point someone in the right direction for which rule(s) apply in a situation or to discuss my interpretation of the rule(s), but actors should want to know what their Union has agreed to on each contract. 

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Can you post a notice on the Callboard by the end of the currently performing show? Although it sounds like you may not have the needed info by that time.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
I would give them all the info the actors request about the daily schedule as long as it's not contrary to any contract or company rules/policies. I agree with what's been mentioned that the actor's should refer to the TYA contract you're working under (it is their responsibilty to know the rules as well--not just rely upon the Stage Manager).  Can you get together before dinner or later in the evening to have a nightly company meeting about the next day?

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
If the cast can tell you what info they are specifically looking for, I’d go ahead and provide it even if it seems less than vital from your perspective.   I’d also ask if there is something about the format of your email that could be changed to make it clearer for them.

As for not reading the emails completely or AEA rulebook, that’s a classic example of why some of us are SMs, and some of us are actors.  To an SM, of course you carefully read everything.  For an actor, those details aren’t always a priority.  Endlessly repeating info you’ve already distributed comes with the territory, and happen despite the best written work.

Maybe you’re at a point in your tour where everyone is starting to get sick of each other, and this is just a symptom.  From your posts, it sounds like the cast might be starting to get under your skin.  It’s easier said than done , but be mindful of your own internal monologue, as  dwelling on actors’ negative habits  won’t help you be a positive and supportive SM for them.  Make sure you’re taking care of yourself, and checking in with friends or family in the outside world regularly, to help keep everything in perspective. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
I've been in a similar situation. The fact is, you seem to be doing everything right as best as you can- giving them their relevant information as soon as you can about the next day. If they're coming up and asking you questions that are in the email that they asked to receive, frankly it's their problem. I would say "I've been sending an email with all that information- is there something there that's unclear?" (Which, in reading, sounds rude, but I promise it can be said with utter niceness and concern.) This leaves it open for their suggestions, and take them as best you can.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Do you all travel together in a van or bus?  Is there some natural announcement time at the beginning of your work day?  Once everybody's there, you could do some standard announcement "Today's show is long, we load out and then have lunch, etc." when you first see the actors, instead of wanting them to remember what they read (or didn't read) the night before.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Thanks for the ears everyone.  It helped just to get it out to other SMs who would understand the frustration.

I'm going to start reminding them at breakfast, which most of them make it down on time for, and those that don't are not the ones who seem to have trouble understanding the schedule, so I'm not worried about them.  Beyond that, like MissLiz said, it's just a matter of gently reminding them that the information was in the email, which I can only assume they got since they made it to the van on time.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I agree with everything that's already been said.  Basically, all you can do is keep sending emails and say information out loud as much as possible.  It never hurts to verbally reinforce what is distributed in writing.  I generally recite schedules at every opportunity just to solidify and make sure everyone understands.