Author Topic: CALLING: Backstage or Booth? (meta-topic)  (Read 80936 times)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 12:39 am »
Where I currently do AM Theatre, the Bio Box (aka 'booth') is actually a balcony above where the audience sit - approx. 2 feet at most. The threatre is black box.

The balcony is in blacks to a height of 4 feet, and our current show has the set rotated 90 degrees, so the set goes right to where the balcony ends - we also have no use of the far half of the bio box due to a bunch of crash mats being placed there for an actor to jump over the balcony from the scaf tower - That is a frustrating show to take visuals from.

I am sound op for the show, and cannot see the MOST important visual cue - a radio being switched on - and apparently the blues in the bio box illuminate me too much if I stand to take the cue, so our SM slipps off of his chair, as does the lighting op (due to the daisy chaining of our cans, I am closest in the chain to the base station, then comes the SM with a huge lead between the two of us, then the LX OP), crawls over the crash mats to the far corner, and gives the visual from there, then crawls back quickly as there are 3 lighting  and sound cues comming up. We have an ASM back stage, but the set obscewers her view of the stage, so she cannot call it, and she is rarely on cans anyway - our method of calling her is to repeatedly press the flash button. In cases like that, getting the tech director who comes to each performance on cans would be ideal - but we don't have enough cans to go arround.

Then of course due to the lack of separation between us and the audience, all calling over cans is given in a really low whisper - so volume up high. We are even loath to turn pages as the crackel can be heard. Add to that the ammount of hiss due to cabling and of course the fact that no one in the audience seems to listen to our FOH managers pre-show of "Please ensure your mobiles are turned off, not just on silent as the signals from your phone interfear with some of our more sensitive equiptment", each night kills the ears of everyone on cans.

Some times there is no way to make good of a bad situation, all you can do is evaluate your situation as the show progresses, and change as necesarry.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:57 pm »
I LOVE calling from backstage.  You're so much closer to everything and everybody.  If there's a problem, or someone gets hurt, you can deal with it right away rather than wait for an ASM who was busy flirting with the lead actor to figure it out.  And as an added bonus, stagehands and actors will often come by and spontaneously start rubbing your back!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

lejenna

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2005, 05:41 am »
I've called from backstage and from the booth, and I prefer the proximity to my actors.... it's a control freak thing, I guess, but I prefer to be right there with them to lend them support and render aid.  I also do a lot of amatuer theater work and rock concert type events, and I prefer to be backstage so that I can control who's on my stage.  I keep joking that I'm going to switch over to a career in bouncing.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2005, 07:43 am »
I suppose it all depends on how you see the different people. I see the crew specifically as MINE. I see my actors more as kids who have grown up and left home, basically. So I really am over possessive of my crew, the actors know where my door is, but I have already helped raise them with all they should need to do, so to them I should be almost peripheral during a show.

That means I am better off in the bio box, close to at least two of my crew, LX and SD op, the two op's who typically have the most cues.

giabow

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2005, 08:18 pm »
For me, preference depends on the show, though I typically call from the booth where I can be nearer the board ops (who are usually not as familiar with the show.)

At the theatre I'm at now, however, I am usually soul running crew, so there is nothing to call.  If the show has a large cast, or a lot of children, I make sure that I have someone else to run so I can babysit.  Our booth can really only fit one person, so the board(s) op has all the cues in his or her script.  I stick my head in to tell them when to start, and then stay in the dressing room or lobby with the actors.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2005, 11:05 pm »
I make sure that I have someone else to run so I can babysit

Oh yikes no - that is when I demand someone ELSE to take care of the kids or help with large casts, because my job is NOT to babysit but to be on top of everything so if anything happens I can take care of it - I would never give away being in charge of how the show was running or when to hold a cue or deal with an emergency or what to put in the rehearsal and performance nightly notes. It's my JOB to be a control freak - to be the proverbial captain of the ship.

giabow

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2005, 07:18 am »
I honestly just don't trust someone else to take care of emergancies and stuff.  Our theatre is very small and technically complicated shows are out of the question.  Usually its just lights up/lights down.  A blind moneky could do it.  

Whereas, my actors have known me since the beginning of rehearsals (most of them longer.)  There's trust there.  If I tell them to do something, they do it.  If I get someone else to come in just for the show, they'll ignore him/her.  Like I said before, its a small theatre.  I rarely get an ASM.

Stgemnky

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2005, 11:44 am »
I am a professional SM and if I may weigh in? I feel usually there isn't the option of a choice about where you call the show from...the venue itself and it's configuration will decide that. Having said that I will say that on one occasion, I did prevail upon the TD to help me move the SM console from an awkward off left position to a funny little Punch and Judy booth at the back of the house which while less than desirable was still a better place for me to view the show. My feeling is that in a short run being onstage is fine but in a longer run (anything over a week) it is best for the SM to occupy a position in the rear of the house-both to better manage the entire stage, and to view the house as well. Ideally you would have an assitant backstage-or a responsible, least used cast member willing to pitch in (there is usually someone in every cast!)
Stage Monkey

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:10 pm »
I have never had to call a show from backstage, and that being said, I personally cannot imagine myself liking it.  I've called from a variety of booths, from straight on, to the side, and even once on the catwalk opposing the acting area in a black box.  One of the things I've learned in the past few years is to trust others more, and I like the overall view of everything that is going on onstage(usually...depending on the booth).  It strikes me that being backstage would be a little distracting from the business onstage and in the script, but as I've said, I've never had to try it.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Backstage or Booth?
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:32 am »
By back stage, TECHNICALLY, you are in the Prompt side wings... so you still have a view of the stage.

After a little bit of digging and talking to some SM friends: Calling a show from Prompt Corner is typical in an Opera environment (in fact it is virtually unheard of for an opera to be called from any other location).  The rest are usually venue based... I believe it has a lot to do with needing to see the musical director, and be able to cue singers. (in fact opera is one of the few that my friends and I believe performers can be given cues for. The rest they are expected to be able to cue themselves)... Just a question, I have been asked to prompt AND call, from one of those little prompt boxes at the foot of the stage... has anyone ever done that before... I can't see how I would be able to see the show with my head in a small box at the foot of the stage. I mean it is quite a nice little 'office' - has a table and lamp, just there is very limited movability. They cannot put me anywhere else they say... I want to take over the back 2 rows of seats, or the front two in the balcony.

ToddEskin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Todd M. Eskin Homepage
  • Affiliations: AEA, CAEA, AGVA, SMA, SDC
CALLING: Backstage or In the Booth?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:56 pm »
Which do you prefer, calling the show from backstage or in the lighting or sound booth (or even just back of the house)?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:09 pm by PSMKay »
Todd M. Eskin
Production Stage Manager
SDC * AEA * CAEA * AGVA * SMA
newbielink:http://www.ToddEskin.com [nonactive]

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Backstage or In the Booth?
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:26 am »
I am sure this has been covered in the green room forum.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:39 pm »
I always prefer being backstage.  Especially for musicals.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

amylee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/amylee1028
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:26 pm »
i prefer to be in the booth, with a trusted ASM backstage
amy lee
:)  :(

Ladytatooine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/
Booth or Backstage?
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:40 pm »
I'm with Amy Lee. I prefer the booth so that I can see what's going on clearly. I will always do my best to have a trusted ASM (or 2) backstage. I wouldn't have it any other way. My eyes can see a small fire or problem USL or USR from the booth better than sitting in the wings and not being able to see US at all.