Author Topic: AUDITIONS: what does a stage manager do at a casting??  (Read 9115 times)

kirstums

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Hi everyone

Don't really know where to start so i'll explain my situation.(mods feel free to move it if its in th wrong place!)
I've just started my first paid job as a stage manager and have been asked to attend the casting.Ive stage managed college productions and worked with the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain, so this is a big step into the real world, im working for a company on the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

My question is ..

what does a stage manager do at a casting? as iv never had to attend one as a stage manager?

Thanks for any responses!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:09 am by PSMKay »

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: what does a stage manager do at a casting??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:48 pm »
Is this your first time as a stage manager attending a casting?  Depending on the director, theater, and show, stage managers are utilized in various ways. Helping organize auditionee information, and aiding in whatever audition needs (such as passing out scripts, keeping notes on who is who, etc).... all that.  Depends on the director whether you get input on who is cast. I've always had input.

In situations like this, it's fair to ask what is expected.  I've been in a similar situation and I've stated, "In my previous experience, I've done this and this during casting and auditions.  Because each theater has a different culture and process, what does  *this* theater expect? I just want to make sure we are on the same page."  I've approached it firmly and professionally without coming off as "uh...I don't know what I'm doing."  It's about that communication since each theater functions slightly differently from time to time.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008, 03:47 pm by A.Baj »
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

kirstums

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:02 am »
Thanks very much, i'ts not my first time as a stage manager but its my first paid stage management job(quite scary) and my first time at a casting so your reply was quite helpful as it is happening tomorrow! I'm meeting with the director before hand so i will confirm it there, Thank You!

Kirsty

jemason

• New to Town
  • To survive in theatre, you need a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:12 pm »
In my college experience, I usually always went to the auditions, set up the table with script excerpts (depending on the director), passed out audition forms, marked each one with a number as they were given to me (which determined the order of the people going in to audition)....  this usually got confusing pretty quickly when the director wanted people to audition in pairs and someone would choose someone else who was further along in the line (having to rearrange all the numbers is a pain).     Sometimes I would help pair people, especially the last minute applicants.     And make sure they put their schedules and availability on the back of the sheets, basically anything that would help the director make their decisions.

Good luck with your paid job and asking the director what is expected of you is always a good idea (and then going above and beyond).
I stage manage, therefore I am.

va;en__bfm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:47 am »
For these past auditions, I was basically the messenger- I went out and told them who was going in, or what groups they were reading in, all that good stuff. Basically, I was the person to come to with questions. I didn't have input, though, but I don't really think I had much to say anyway.

kirstums

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2008, 07:14 pm »
Thanks much,

been to my casting now wasn't as scary as expected, thanks for your help as i'm sure there will be plenty more questions to come :)