Author Topic: ASMS: AEA Actors as ASMs  (Read 8305 times)

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
ASMS: AEA Actors as ASMs
« on: Mar 27, 2011, 03:55 pm »
Has anyone worked with an AEA Actor as an ASM? I am doing Most Happy Fella next and was told by the producer that since it's a musical and they don't have enough $ to hire an AEA ASM they are going to use one of the actors. I'm really just kind of wondering what to expect from them, as is my fear that they really won't be as useful as a regular asm (AEA or non).

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2011, 07:50 pm by Rebbe »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: AEA Actors as ASMs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:58 pm »
I guess it depends on the Actor . . . remember a lot of Stage Managers got their start as actors - and since they are going to have to agree to an ASM/Actor contract, they may already have an interest in it.  You might want to go into with an open mind and see what happens . . . but . . . it really depends on how to producer frames what the job is . . . are the just filling the contract and not expected to do the job?   

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:42 pm »
I find some of the best tasks to give an actor fulfilling the ASM role is to give them tasks specifically geared towards the cast. Things like Line notes, running orders, props tracking, sign in sheet master etc. I've found they feel more in touch with things they've interacted with as an actor, and it will require less instruction because they know what they want to see on those things and that will be helpful to both of you moving forward.

But like Matt said, that's all up to the actor hired and what they were told to expect.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:04 pm »
It totally depends on the actor!

If they're actually interested in being a good ASM it will be a much better experience-- I've also had the experience of an actor/ASM who DID NOT want to do the job- and it was awful!

Yes, I second the vote to have them focus on actor-centric tasks- but a word of warning that if they've never done paperwork, it will take you more time to tech them how to do it than if you just did it yourself. Of course that's true for all assistants!

Mostly- you will do a lot more teaching than you would traditionally do!

MERDE!  ;)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: ASMS: AEA Actors as ASMs
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 01:54 am »
Just curious - what is the contract? Very few allow actor/asms without specific concession requests....and for MHF you need to look at all the places this person is being expected to do double-duty and make sure you are covered on that side of the deck!

stagegal1

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:51 am »
I hope that everyone is on the up and up, and that this actor wants to ASM, but my fear is that the producer may tell the actor that they don't have to do anything stage management related in order to get them to sign the ASM contract.  Contracts that allow for actor/asms often only have a very minimal pay increase for the ASMs, so they don't expect to do more work.  Be careful and find out exactly what is being told to this actor.  I hope they prove helpful, but I fear you will end up without any support.  Good Luck!

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2011, 02:33 pm »
Just curious - what is the contract? Very few allow actor/asms without specific concession requests....and for MHF you need to look at all the places this person is being expected to do double-duty and make sure you are covered on that side of the deck!

It's the NEAT contract

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:56 pm »
So I'm confused, if AEA is requiring an ASM, then how are they saving money by hiring an Actor.  My understanding of NEAT Tier B theaters (I'm from the Boston area) is that if it is a cast size of 10 or more or a Chorus musical then the ASM can not Act or Understudy.  So therefore it is a full time AEA ASM, so can't you hire a SM over a Actor?  Or is this a concession from the union?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:03 pm »
It sounds like a concession . . . as I have heard it as a common concession that ASM who can't act/understudy to become a ASM who can understudy, ASM who can dance captain/understudy or ASM who can be in chorus.  I have also had an a required AEA ASM be completely eliminated form the contract (Which, kids, is one of the reasons you should always read/sign your contract before the first day of work . . . ) on a concession with NO replacement - just waived - even though on the contract, given the cast size an AEA ASM would be required (And to be fair, SHOULD have been on the show) - in the end it worked out okay - the actor/PA I had was great . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2011, 11:33 pm »
The concession didn't work out, but the AEA/ASM I did get is awesome! She got hired two days before rehearsals so we had a bit of a scare. The actor who was going to be the ASM actually became the deputy and has been wonderful too!