Author Topic: SCENERY: Artificial hay help!!!  (Read 6108 times)

HeatherMichelle

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager, Scenic artist, Designer, and more.
    • View Profile
    • Theatre by Heather M Felker
  • Affiliations: Rowan University; Alpha Psi Omega Rho Nu chapter
  • Current Gig: Assistant Set Designer, “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” with EgoPo Classic Theater in Philadelphia, PA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
SCENERY: Artificial hay help!!!
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:44 pm »
Hi! I am currently working on EgoPo Classic Theater's production, "Uncle Tom's Cabin”, in Philadelphia. We are looking for a large amount of artificial straw hay that can be used to cover the stage for our show (approximately 26'x21' wide). Does anyone know of a reliable place where we could have some luck at finding this elusive item? We’ve tried various websites online and made several phone and email contacts, but no luck yet.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas. Our show previews this coming Wednesday night, May 29th, and opens Friday night, so we are on a bit of a time crunch, but are willing to do whatever we can find the artificial hay and complete our set.

Much thanks, everyone!

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013, 09:46 pm by Maribeth »
newbielink:http://theatrebyheathermfelker.com/ [nonactive]

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Artificial hay help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:52 pm »
I gather that you are looking for loose straw and not bales.  Have you considered getting rafia from a craft store?  Or buying plastic grass skirts like this one and cutting them to create your straw look?  Just throwing out ideas of things we have used in the past in place of real hay.  Good luck in your search! 

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:12 am »
  Or buying plastic grass skirts ... and cutting them to create your straw look? 

Along the lines of grass skirts- Delaware Theatre Company just finished South Pacific and they had a bunch of grass skirts in the show. Maybe contacting their props department/office?

HeatherMichelle

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager, Scenic artist, Designer, and more.
    • View Profile
    • Theatre by Heather M Felker
  • Affiliations: Rowan University; Alpha Psi Omega Rho Nu chapter
  • Current Gig: Assistant Set Designer, “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” with EgoPo Classic Theater in Philadelphia, PA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16 am »
Those are both good suggestions, thanks! We ended up finding Avery Killerweed Blinds, bundles of fake straw made from a material like raffia, that hunters use for camouflage. The solution was much harder to find than we expected, though, so I appreciate your ideas! Thank you!
newbielink:http://theatrebyheathermfelker.com/ [nonactive]

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing your solution!