Author Topic: WWW detail question  (Read 5326 times)

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
WWW detail question
« on: Mar 31, 2007, 03:28 pm »
Do you list a singer's exit when they begin crossing to there exit or when they are off the deck or out of audience sightlines? I prefer doing it when they are out of sightlines, but I don't know if that's standard with different companies.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: WWW detail question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:27 pm »
I my experience, the exit is listed when the performer leaves the stage, not when they start leaving the stage.

LisaEllis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2007, 11:57 pm »
Of course, the idea is when can they start that quick change/pick up the prop/etc., so when they're actually offstage is the time and placement listed.

But don't get carried away...the chorus exits at 149/3/1...some of them are off quickly and some of them take 30 seconds or more to get there.  It's rarely important enough to stagger those timings.  Getting the right people, in the approximate order, in the right wing, is the helpful information.  All timings are approximate anyway, so don't fret about a few seconds here or there.  When it matters, you'll have a stopwatch on that quick change anyway in rehearsal, with a better idea of tempo than a recording.

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2007, 12:15 am »
Gratzi, so why would someone do it when an artist begins to cross?? Maybe that is why WWWs sometimes don't make sense - have you come across this?

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:18 pm »
I my experience, the exit is listed when the performer leaves the stage, not when they start leaving the stage.

On the other hand, isn't it more likely that the time one is going to need for Qing (electrics, especially if moving lights are involved,  or followspot) is the start of the exit?

sammy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2007, 04:37 pm »
Exactly. There lies the debate. I guess it comes down to whether the document is used more for cuing than arranging. Have any of you ever noted both, somehow, to cover bases for all sides? Without it becoming confusing. Of course, I have also seen artists and coro treated differently with this - when the coro begins their cross to exit (since the time with this isn't accurate for the most part anyway) and artists when they are out of sightlines.. but I don't know if that is exactly clear or standard either :)  oh my, ...

LisaEllis

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2007, 09:20 pm »
I have never known an LD to even LOOK at a w/w/w, or ask for one.  Or know it exists.

The w/w/w is a useful document for coproductions and remounts, and is often formatted and updated by the AD if you have one.  So some ADs will be thinking about blocking and intentions, and what you're paying attention to from the front of the room is different than what you see from the side or backstage. Wardrobe and Wigs often ask for a copy (depending on how each department runs at a particular company) so they know when to follow the principals around, or where to powder a nose between entrances.  Stage Management can use it as a cheat sheet (when does that person go on next? does he/she really have time to go to the bathroom?)

But it is not used by the technical departments...Props, Deck, A/V, Rail...they all have their usual run sheets.  You often include generalized versions of these notes in the who/what/where, but the detailed minis and presets are only in the department paperwork.

Again, all timings are approximate...they usually still just ask "how long till my next cue?"  And I flip a few pages and say "2 minutes" or "more than 10 minutes".  Very few people actually read the w/w/w, but it's great for archival purposes.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2007, 09:30 pm »
Exactly. A WWW is not a run sheet; It is a reference tool. You couldn't call a show from a WWW, nor should you try.

As far as the concern over sightlines, a performer exits when they are not in the stage area anymore. If you want to be stressed out over when a performer leaves sightlines, I can think of many dancers who have never actually "exited" for entire performances.

riotous