Author Topic: Tosca Recording  (Read 6989 times)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
Tosca Recording
« on: Sep 17, 2012, 06:48 am »
Hey all!

I am going to be ASM for a production of Tosca later in the year, and wanted to know if anyone knew of a good recording of the Recordi score. I found a copy of the score online, and wanted to practice following it.

I am willing to go out and buy the opera on cd, but an online version would work just as well.

Thanks!  :D

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
Re: Tosca Recording
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2012, 09:43 am »
If you have any way of contacting the maestro who will be conducting your production I would ask them which recording they recommend.  They will usually have one in mind that will be similar to the tempos that they plan on using, which can vary wildly from recording to recording.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 04:48 pm »
If you have any way of contacting the maestro who will be conducting your production I would ask them which recording they recommend.  They will usually have one in mind that will be similar to the tempos that they plan on using, which can vary wildly from recording to recording.

I second babens' suggestion, and also recommend checking out your local library for recordings. 

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2012, 02:46 am »
Great Idea! I will e-mail them and ask- thanks!
 :)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 am »
Sidenote: The International Music Score Library project has the whole Ricordi score for free. (Many other scores also for those who are trying to learn to read music. Great project.)

They also linked over to Amazon where they've got at least one recording of a Callas Tosca at La Scala for less than $3. The best recordings will all still be within copyright in the US so you are unlikely to find a free copy through legit means.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2012, 02:42 pm »
Just be careful with the budget opera recordings.  Many of them have terrible sound quality.  A lot of the super cheap recordings come from live recordings taken from the house by just a handful of microphones and they often have a quality similar to bootlegs that were taken by somebody near the back sneaking out their portable cassette recorder.

Once you have an idea of which recording you want to reference I would suggest first checking your local library, as many opera recordings run on the expensive side.  On the bonus side, by checking with the conductor or company which recording they recommend the odds of them having a copy that you can borrow are pretty good as well.

juliec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Bonjour M. Gauguin (US Premiere)
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2012, 05:01 am »
I just realized you are doing Tosca with a soprano whom I so adore... :)  Have fun in Alaska!

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2012, 01:28 pm »
That's really exciting! It's always good to know when you have great singers!

reneelibra

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Austin Lyric Opera, Opera Parallele, Hidden Valley Opera, Festival Opera, Siren Project
  • Current Gig: Tosca: ASM with Austin Lyric Opera
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2013, 02:30 pm »
Let me know how it goes!
I will be doing my first Tosca in January. Gotta love that Puccini, killing everyone off. :)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2013, 04:19 pm »
How it went. This thread is over a year old.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:07 am »
I forgot I even asked around about this- I ended up getting a recording from my local library and using a digital score. It did take me a little bit to figure out how to place timings in a pdf, but what I ended up doing was placing a mark at each 30 second interval, and once we received our paper scores when we arrived it was just writing in the timings.  I was able to do the timing marks before I landed so that did save some of the tedious work. The recording was a great starting place, and it didn't change too much once we started working.

Although I don't recommend Alaska in the winter... it was very dark. Amazing company and great people, but I missed the sun a little too much  :D

riotous