Author Topic: Some Opera Questions  (Read 7344 times)

arizonasm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Some Opera Questions
« on: Aug 02, 2008, 04:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me. First time involved with an opera and I'm quite confussed! I've read some of the other topics about opera on the board but I still have got some questions...

• When people refer to places in the score they talk about number set out like this - X/X/X (i.e. 14/2/2). What does this mean?
  • In the schedule there doesn't seem to be a 'Technical Rehearsal' juts 'Stage and Piano' and 'Stage & Orchestra' rehearsal sessions - what is the difference between them?
  • Does anyone have a copy of an opera running list/ deck cue sheet that I could have a look at?
  • What's the 'Water Table' thing all about?

If anyone can help with any of the above I'd really appreciate it. Getting a bit confused with this new world!

Thanks very much

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Some Opera Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2008, 05:24 pm »
X/X/X= page/ staff/ measure

Stage and Piano rehearsal = full tech, lights, costumes, scenery but with piano accompaniment only (ie. 1st dress rehearsal)
Stage and Orchestra = full tech, lights, costumes, scenery with FULL orchestra (ie. final dress rehearsal)- strict union rules usually apply in this rehearsal

also of note: Sitzprobe- seated rehearsal with singers and full orchestra (usually held after staging is complete right before moving to technical rehearsals)

water table- coffee/ tea set up.  Usually have 3 large coffee makers. 1 for caf, 1 for decaf, 1 for hot water.  Have lots of teabags (variety), honey, lemon, sugar, creamer, etc.  Helps to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer here (and on all props tables and SM tables).  It is important to keep all items well stocked and fresh.  Singers tend to be very particular about their drinks.  I also try to supply hot water kettles for star dressing rooms when possible.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:21 am »
Also, regarding technical rehearsals, I have never seen a pure tech rehearsal ("dry tech") held at any opera company large or small. The tech just swims along through the other stage rehearsals.

joegladstone

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2008, 11:49 am »
Hi Arizonsm!
1)  23/5/4  would mean page 23, 5th line (or 5th score as it's sometimes called), 4th measure.  You will hear that many times in the rehearsals when the director or maestro wants to start at a certain point.  The LD will also use that notation to place cues.
2)  You're right about the tech rehearsal.  The tech (lighting) is usually done without the cast (much better - that's why I love it).  Then you put it together with the cast.  You need to make paperwork for the crew as do your ASMs so you can run without a separate tech.  You make the schedule of what needs to be done.  Hopefully you can run with as few stops as possible, but if there is much to tech you make a train schedule which lists what you're going to tech (pages, what's involved, etc) and skip from section to section.  This can be done at the piano tech.  You're in charge, but you can get input from the director as to what he (she) needs to do techwise.  This is quite often the first dress rehearsal also, so you really try to run to get the feel of costume change times, etc.
3) I have paperwork if you like.  You can email me at joegpsm@gmail.com.
4) Water table - depends on the company - some have, some don't.   Water, coffee, etc.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2008, 01:06 pm »
You can also find paperwork in the paperwork section of the main board.

With the water table, I'm in agreement with everything that is being said here but I also include filtered room temperature water.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2008, 06:13 pm »
In most companies, the water tables are in the SR & SL areas backstage where the performers can get a drink of room temperature water, a tissue, and maybe a throat lozenge just before stepping onstage. Similar to your rehearsal room hospitality table, but without the hot beverages (which may be in Green Room or dressing rooms). These are typically maintained by props crews or ASMs. Be sure that quiet paper cups rather than plastic are used backstage during performances!

riotous