Author Topic: Shipping a Marley Floor  (Read 6270 times)

EzBrEzPSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Shipping a Marley Floor
« on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:38 pm »
Does anyone have any experience in shipping rolls of Marley dance floor? I've always been the one to haul it around, but have never been faced with having to have it shipped.

Any companies to suggest or stay away from?

Thanks!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Shipping a Marley Floor
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2014, 07:33 am »
I don't have recommendations in terms of a specific company but you need to figure out the weight and dimensions of your floor for shipping. After that call as many companies as possible and get quotes. FedEx, ups, and Radiant shipping are the most common. There are bound to be local freight companies. You'll also have to know if the delivery location needs a lift gate or of they have a loading dock. 

All the companies have pros and cons. I'd go by the price you get.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:18 am »
Hello EzBrEzPSM,

One role I used to fill for my employer was that of Logistics Manager, so hopefully I will be able to help a bit, but need more information.

How many rolls?  How far are you having it shipped?  How fast does it need to get there?  Do you have road cases or anything available for protection?  Where are you located?

In terms of shipment prep, outside of road cases I can't really think of a fail-safe way of providing some protection.  You could also build cases out of wood.

One challenge with vinyl flooring is the rolls are typically larger than a 48x48 pallet, which can make LTL (Less than Truckload) shipments risky.  You don't want things bumping up against the rolls, especially the edges, as it could damage the flooring.  If you have road cases (which I doubt as by asking this question it doesn't seem your company is tooled for touring) then throw them on an LTL shipment and you're set.  With LTL shipments your freight is consolidated with other LTL shipments.  If you're shipping less than 10 pallets, LTL is usually cheapest.  LTL will also take the longest, as your freight will go between depots or distribution centers for consolidation. 

If you have enough rolls it may be cheaper to do an FTL (Full Truckload) shipment.  I doubt you are shipping that much, but important to differentiate between FTL and LTL shipments.  In this case your freight has a dedicated trailer, nothing else is on it and therefor you mitigate the risk of damage.  You don't necessarily need to have a FULL truckload for an FTL shipment to be the best option.  With LTL the cost is increased a bit as there is more work involved for the carrier with LTL.  If you have half a third trailer load or more you may find FTL to be a better option both financially and operationally. 

Both FTL and LTL would be for non local shipments.  If you're staying in the same region, check regional freight lines as they're usually cheaper than the national carriers.  If you're staying very local (~3 hour drive) you should look into a local courier or delivery service.  They'll have box trucks that could be dedicated to your freight.

One final note, and not to directly contradict Nick below - but UPS and FedEx freight are usually considerably more expensive than a trucking line.  That said, they're definitely viable options and can get the job done.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2014, 09:48 am by KMC »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2014, 10:37 am »
Never said they were the best. Just the most common and they are the most easily accessible to most of us.  That's also why I suggested the local companies because they will almost definitely be cheaper but I can't recommend which one to use since I don't know who works in EzBrEzPSM's area. Also for the multitude of reasons you listed why using a national company for a "local" delivery makes little sense.

EzBrEzPSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2014, 03:27 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice!

The marley is a couple years old and coming out of a university dance program studio. I obviously need to get with the facility director their about the weight and dimensions of each roll. I have generic info about the marley, but not the weight or circumference of each to determine the total load size/weight.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the university will have the marley in any kind of "packaged" form such as a road case, the most I'm seeing would be plastic wrap or a shipping blanket. It's definitely not a full truck load, there are only 7, 63" wide X 60' long, rolls of marley.... I'll start with the facilities director to see if I can commission him to supply some form of protective barrier for when its shipped, but I might have to find a company who can do a "full service" job (Pick-up, package, ship). Its being shipped from Salt Lake City, UT to Little Rock, AR so I'll need to research lines that travel that route...

Sound like I'm on the right track or am I making this too complicated?

Thank you!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2014, 03:37 pm »
It does sound like you're on the right track in terms of shipping, but at this point I am questioning if it'd be easier/cheaper to rent a dance floor locally in Little Rock?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2014, 09:12 am »
If it's possible, have the floor rolled on to cores that are a little bit wider than the 63" floor (maybe 70" long).  This can help protect the outer ends of the rolls from damage during shipping and handling.  The larger diameter the core is, the less trouble you will have unrolling/installing it at your end (although that will impact the shipping dimensions).

EzBrEzPSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2014, 05:19 pm »
The tip about the longer cores is great! I hadn't thought about it but it does make such a difference for those ends, Thanks!

We actually own one of the only Marleys (only mobile) that is available to rent in Little Rock(unless you want to rent from a TX or TN company), hence the need for a new(er) floor for our company and the community. This great deal came on the table and I jumped at the price and condition of the marley, just have to get it here.

riotous