Author Topic: Professional Road House  (Read 10894 times)

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
Professional Road House
« on: Sep 30, 2006, 02:50 pm »
I am currently working at a Professional Road House as a SM, Loader, Fly Boy, Follow Spot Operator, Light Board Operator, Dresser, etc., and was just wondering what have been your experiences with Road Houses? Does anybody out there currently work at a Road House besides me?
Derek A. Fuzzell

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Professional Road House
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2006, 11:28 pm »
I don't work at one full-time, but I sometimes do local crew at River Center for the Performing Arts in Columbus, GA. The SM there is amazing. Her name is Tammy Whorton and I'm sure if you can't find some answers here, she could help. www.rivercenter.org
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2006, 12:41 pm »
Hey, Thanks a lot I appreciate your response
Derek A. Fuzzell

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2006, 12:57 pm »
I work at a road house.  Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, I was moving over the weekend. 

Is your list things that you do for shows?  I need a basic knowledge of each department, mainly for maintenance between shows.  I often help the facility manager between shows when I'm not advancing things or talking with the union.  My role during  shows is to be the venue contact for the things that the tour needs.  Every once in a while I can watch the shows, as long as I stay on radio.  We have some broadway tours coming this season that I am hoping to be able to watch.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I'm also an ex-roadie, so I can go on and on about different roadhouses I've been to on tour.

-Centaura
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006, 12:59 pm by centaura »

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:46 pm »
I
I'm also an ex-roadie, so I can go on and on about different roadhouses I've been to on tour.

Please do!!!!!!

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2006, 09:17 pm »
I played mainly mid-range houses, the 1,000 to 2,500 range.  Though I have done a few larger and some arenas.  I once got to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage - they were really nice at that venue.  We got invited backstage for their show, and they flew in the barn for us after our load-out so we could get pics with it.

One of my favorite venues crew-wise is Green Bay.  The university has a union roadhouse, and I could always gaurantee that I'd break my load-in record there.  Its one of those houses that highlight all that a union can be in helpfulness, knowledge and work ethic.

The Majestic in San Antonio got a vote for one of the best old vaudevilles that I've been to.  I mainly played the Empire which backs up to it, but all the show artwork in the lower hallways is cool, and the space itself was very well restored.  I love old vaudeville houses and their histories.

Playhouse Square in Cleveland has a great series of old vaudevilles.  They managed to save almost all of the downtown ones, and I think I've managed to hit every one of them.

There were definately places that I didn't like to go, and that I cringed if I saw on an itinerary.  They would range from bad crews, to bad set-ups, or some other such issue.  Sometimes the peculiarity was livable - the Alberta Bair was tough to focus lights in, not because of any crew issues - it just has an asymetrical house where you can't look out into and easily find center.  The crew was great.  In fact I really like that bunch of venues in the corner of Montana and Wyoming.  Really friendly folks, and the comraderie between venues was really nice to be around.  They really look out for each other, which I always felt was cool.

-Centaura

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2006, 11:38 pm »
A few things I've picked up:

Be aware that if you play the Palace in Myrtle Beach the proscenium is NOT centered on the house.  If you want your audience to be centered with the show, go off the center front seats (basing it on the center of the two aisles).  I went in to put spike marks down and had a large discussion with my production manager because the added apron to the stage (I can't remember at this point whether we built it or if it was theirs) was centered on "center".

Both the Buell Theatre in Denver and the Ovens Auditorium in Charlotte have strange neon-ish lights in the house...if I remember correctly the Buell are set to specific colors, but Charlotte's can be set many ways....they set ours for a Christmas show in REALLY BRIGHT red and green...and they love to have fun during preshow check...watch your eyes!

If you play at the Milwaukee Theatre (in Milwaukee), you can thank our show for being there during renovation and insisting they have an access to stage right from upstairs (instead of only stage left).  In fact, they put our producer's name over that entrance (thinking they were being funny and snide, I believe, but he and we loved it!).  Don't know if it's still there.  Not a real handy entrance, but it's an entrance.

If you use the elevator between dressing room floors SR at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix, know that a donkey used to ride that same elevator once per show for us....hee!

Erin

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2006, 01:29 am »
I to am a rodie,(Temp IATSE).  I have been doing so for the past 3 yrs. and I could go on and on about things, so I won't.  But if you have specific Q's please ask, I'd love to help if I can.

riotous