Author Topic: Paid Summer Opera Internships  (Read 5749 times)

EEJsm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile:
  • Affiliations: Shenandoah Conservatory
  • Current Gig: Dogwood Dell - Richmond VA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Paid Summer Opera Internships
« on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:22 pm »
Does anybody know of any well paid opera internships for the summer? I would prefer one in California. I'm a rising senior at Shenandoah University with a great interest in opera stage management.

Thanks!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Paid Summer Opera Internships
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2013, 01:47 am »
I think putting well-paid in the same sentence as any starter theatre job really depends on the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't say *I'm* well-paid and I've been out of college for fifteen or so years...

That said, I think it's good to find ones that provide housing and a stipend on top of that, for an internship. Central City Opera, in Colorado, has usually three SM internships. Do some research into what you're getting into though. It is in a remote mountain town (which has taken adjustment for some) and there are additional job duties required, including ushering and prepping and closing the historic buildings at the beginning and end of the season). The job notice usually goes on the website around December 1. (I'm the one who puts it online for the production manager.)

Others that come to mind, though I don't know pay specifics are Chautauqua and Glimmerglass (both NY) and Santa Fe.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2013, 12:45 pm »
I also know a good number of people who've worked multiple seasons at Des Moines Metro Opera and always seem to have a good time.  I'm not sure when they start hiring for their summer season.

Patlienemann

• New to Town
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Wayne State University
  • Current Gig: Rapture, Blister, Burn - Matrix Theatre (Detroit)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2013, 01:59 pm »
I also know a good number of people who've worked multiple seasons at Des Moines Metro Opera and always seem to have a good time.  I'm not sure when they start hiring for their summer season.

I have a few friends who have/are doing Des Moines Metro Opera and they have just recently started talking about it - I believe their hiring starts soon, if not now.

I could be wrong :D

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:25 pm »
You can also check out Utah Festival Opera and musical Theatre in Logan Utah. They hire Stage Management Interns each summer and provide housing, travel and a stipend. I worked in company management there and loved it. It is a great company and you can have a lot of fun. I found the job through offstagejobs.com. They are titled as Production Assistants.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info on the company.

riotous