Author Topic: Orchestra Calls  (Read 4877 times)

Jean24

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Orchestra Calls
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:16 pm »
Just wondering what the procedure is when it comes to calling orchestra to the pit before the start of an opera? I work under the UK system

I've been having a debate with a couple of friends of mine.

Thanks

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Orchestra Calls
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:51 am »
In America, the union orchestra sets themselves by curtain (at the places call).

I have never had to have a separate orchestra call - except to tell them at times the pit is available for seating for a rehearsal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:25 pm »
I work in dance; primarily ballet with an orchestra.  My company's convention is that the half-hour call is 30 minutes before curtain, then the 15- and 5-minute calls are advanced by 5 minutes (ie. the 15 is 20 minutes before curtain).  I give an onstage call 5 minutes before our planned start (adjusting for a hold if appropriate), and also page the orchestra to the pit at this point:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your onstage call.  Onstage please for the top of Act I.  Would the members of the orchestra please take their places in the pit - orchestra to the pit please".

I am not sure if opera stage managers would separately page the conductor to the pit, but certainly possible.  In ballet, it is very common for the conductor to come to the stage just before the start of each act (to touch base with a rotating cast of dancers), and our understanding is that the ASM or SM will send them to the pit when ready.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:57 am »
It varies depending on the venue, how big the pit is, how big the orchestra is, and how far they have to walk - but I generally do the following (UK here as well):

7 minutes before
"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Orchestra, this is your first call to the pit. Your first call please, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Orchestra."

5 minutes before (with beginners)
"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Orchestra, this is your second and final call to the pit. Your second and final call. Your call please, (Conductor) - (Conductor), this is your call."

Unless it's a really short interval, I'll do the same before a restart as well.

Hope that helps!

Cx

Jean24

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:27 pm »
Chris, I should've known you'd be here!!

That's what I'd tend to do too but had a strange experience this week. So just wanted to double check that what I would normally do it right

x

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:43 am »
I'm late to this one but my orchestra (opera and ballet orchestra) gets two calls - for a 7:30 show the first call is at 7:23 and the second tagged on to the beginners call so is usually just after 7:25.  In opera season the conductor gets their own call to the pit but not in ballet season as they tend to be up on stage and someone on the SM team sends them to the pit.

riotous