Author Topic: Not allowed to use spike tape  (Read 15349 times)

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Not allowed to use spike tape
« on: Aug 21, 2019, 12:25 pm »
We are rehearsing in a space that will not allow us to leave down spike tape. It is a shared space so we cant leave out anything between rehearsals.  I just need to mark walls, 2 doors and chair placement (the chairs move).

Anyone have any creative ideas for how to mark our set without using spike tape that is easy to recreate each day?

Thanks!

jNehlich

• New to Town
  • Been in this town since 2006...so not* new to town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: AEA SM
Re: Not allowed to use spike tape
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2019, 06:16 pm »
Is it a solid surfaced floor or does it have some kind of pattern on it that you could use for easy reference points?

Will they allow any kind of tape? I've used painter's tape before instead of spike(just for reference points; even if they have to be struck and re-marked each day). If no adhesive thing of any kind is allowed, then if you just need reference point for during rehearsal then try anything that's small and weighted. I've used small blocks of wood, rocks, even those removable suction cups on hardwood floor (the ones used for windows; just take a colored sharpie to them, since they're usually clear).

For quick re-taping, if you don't want to use a measuring tape every time (though Iv'e found often it's the quickest method), I've used string/ribbon cut to the lengths of some of the walls and then just laid them all out before rehearsal started and marked the needed points for rehearsal reference.

Hopefully others will have ideas as well.
-JN

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2019, 02:51 am »
You might do a search, as there was a long discussion of suggestions a few years back. But one solution has been sidewalk chalk, which washes off after rehearsal. 

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2019, 01:09 pm »
Can you simply take a few measurements from the lip of the stage and set daily mandatory spikes?
Ordo ab chao

riotous