Author Topic: Interviewing for Industrial  (Read 5277 times)

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Interviewing for Industrial
« on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:29 pm »
Hi all,

I'm about to start testing the waters in industrials. I'd love any pointers the SMNetwork has on good interview questions or conventions (what to bring, what to negotiate), etc.

Will keep you all posted on how this goes... I'm excited about looking at another side of stage management!

Thanks,

Meg

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Interviewing for Industrial
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2006, 11:50 pm »
What would be your specific tasks?
Derek A. Fuzzell

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2006, 02:18 pm »
For industrials it's more PSM/PM work combined. You really need to be on top of everything and to get a great support staff for your A/V and other site-specific needs.

My industrial work also paid a lot more - it often falls into a grey area union-wise so charge enough to make you feel good about the fact that you won't sleep for a couple of days  - convention and industrials are often one-offs, so you get to the hotel and work from load-in through load-out without any time off, but it's usually not more than a week at a time so you get to sleep between cities.

Also, make sure they handle the hotel, food, transportation, petty cash, etc - and if they are in a hotel try to be housed in that same venue rather than down the street.  Gives you an opportunity to get to know the resident players and creates a good basis for shared services. Otherwise have them get you the closest place you can, walking if possible.

Always ask for the coffee maker in your room (and a minifridge if possible) - many of the hotels that do these kinds of things are upscale and expect you to order room service for hot water. Besides the expense, you can't guarantee it'll get there when you want it, the kitchen closes at a certian hour, and you may not be able to eat during normal times.  I know they pay for all my meals, but I always brought (or bought) snacks cuz my hours didn't mesh with markets, the restaurants etc.

The work is intense but great fun, exhausting but very exciting. And it's a trip to get to travel all over (altho often you never leave the performance venue other than your few hours in bed).

Good luck!

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:16 pm »
The interview went well! I should know by the weekend...

FYI, it's a production assistant gig - I'm just getting my feet wet.

Thanks -

Meg

psmusthea

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:16 pm »
Where do you look for industrial jobs?