Author Topic: How do you care for your dance floor?  (Read 8246 times)

BayAreaSM

• View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
How do you care for your dance floor?
« on: Mar 14, 2011, 01:01 am »
For smaller companies, the Stage Management is the team responsible for care and maintenance of dance floors. I have to maintain 5 studios in my company's building, but at the theater we have IATSE crews, so I don't have to maintain the performance floor.

Over my years working for the ballet, one of my previous PSM's used lemon-scented ammonia directly on the dance floor. He poked a few holes in the plastic film and I would drip it on the floor as he used a push broom covered with a towel behind me. This seemed to do well on the floors. After he left, we got an ATD and he took over the mopping/scrubbing of the dance floor. However, once he scrubbed certain studios, areas became so slick, we couldn't use them. (We now have an entire studio set up theater-style [with wings and a crossover] that is no longer used due to the slick spots.)

I was then told that the ammonia was bad for the floors as it dries them out, and that we should only use a warm water wash. The ATD still takes care of the mopping and scrubbing, while I maintain the tape between the seams and the dotting.

What do you do with your floors? How do you clean them, yet keep them from getting slick? If you have panels of dance floor, what kind of tape do you use for the seams, and how do you keep it lasting through weeks of rehearsals?

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: How do you care for your dance floor?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:24 am »
I don't know about cleaning, but I remember when I took ballet we used to mop our marley floor with coke before a performance so it wouldn't be slick.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011, 04:11 pm »
--spam post that was here has been deleted, member banned--

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2011, 06:46 pm »
For the tough rosin stain spots I use lighter fluid& a scraper of come kind~ then basic warm water w/ a tiny dash of soap~ And not very often, either! And trying a good coke soak might help your slick spots~! MERDE!

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:39 pm »
I am primarily responsible for the touring floor with the ballet company I work and occasionally am called on to do some work on the studio floors.

Daily, the floor gets a dry mop and a euro mop.  We use standard dry mops that are marked for dance floor use only.  They are washed regularly without soap or fabric softener.  Fabric softener especially will slick up a floor!  The euro mop involves wrapping soaked towel around a wide bristle broom.  As with the dry mops, the towels used for the euro mop are for mopping only and are washing without soap or fabric softener.

Every couple of weeks, we'll mop with "Slip No More."  I can't remember the manufacturer, but I'll look the next time I'm at the studio.  The Slip No More gets applied with a normal mop (that you have made sure is only used for slip no more and hasn't been washed with soap or fabric softener) after the dry and euro mopping.

For those tough rosin marks or pointe shoe marks, you can get pads for floor buffers that will take those off.  Contact the manufacturer of your floor for suggestions.  We usually do that twice a year.

I'll PM you the details of our tape.  It beats anything I've seen anyone else use.  We only have to redo the tape in the studio every 2-3 months.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2011, 09:41 pm by cprted »

riotous