Author Topic: Event management  (Read 8959 times)

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
Event management
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:42 am »
I have an offer to pick up a major event, but i've only done theatre so far.  

Any words of wisdom from those who have branched out?    

For a one-day event with two weeks of prep, what is a reasonable asking salary?  (Event includes auction, a couple of bands, dinner, cocktail reception, ballroom dancing, A/V, balloon scultures, confetti cannon....you get the idea).   I honestly have no idea what to ask, and rated hourly/daily/weekly....This is all new to my world.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
Event management
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:03 pm »
My rate for events such as these is $500 a day. Weekly rates are $2500 but it all depends on budget, location and actual job description. From what you mentioned, I would start from there.
Ordo ab chao

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Event management
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:30 am »
This might be a bit late, but I didn't see this thread before it was moved to here.  When I worked for an event company, we would hire event managers out at around $25/hr depending on the size of the event.  They were involved in the prep of the event, but under their salary at our company.

-Centaura

ESM_John

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:49 pm »
Sometimes events can be fun..especially when you get tired of concerts, and other high-schoolish events when a show is over..Thats from a H.S. point of view, but im sure it fits elsewhere.

Concerts & Specialty shows usually pay nicely.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2006, 03:51 pm »
I used to do events and conventions all the time - figure out how much of this is actually your problem - are you PSMing the entire event or only responsible for the part that takes place on the stage (the entertainment and announcements and so forth) - if so, is it multimedia or straightforward, how much transition between acts. Start that at $500/day for a relatively straight-forward event and add increments for complications. If you are acting as event planner and dealing with everything, that's a whole other ball of wax - those get a flat fee for the event and you shd call some event planners to get a feel for what they make, often several thousand dollars for the day. That includes hiring staff and coordinating all the pieces.

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2006, 12:47 am »
Well, i asked for what i was used to getting ($850 a week, for two weeks of work).  That turns out to be a bit low considering the complexity of the event, but it was fun and i didn't have to stay for strike :)  As soon as all the projections and slides and IMAG and auction and awards and video and confetti canons were done, the band played on and i went home.  And didn't have to file for unemployment those two weeks between shows!

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:10 pm »
Where does one find these event management gigs? ($850 a week sounds good to me right now)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:14 am »
I've gotten most of my events from the producing company directly. Look into local event production companies - you might find them under party planning, events, talent, or even by researching the society pages of the local paper. There are usually a few of these companies in any mid-sized city. I send them my resume with the standard follow-up. They might also hire non-union stagehands (read: brute labor) for their events, and they usually pay fairly well. You could also go to a local event venue (museums, the convention center, etc) and ask around to see who the event companies are that produce there. Or just contact major event-throwers directly (big hospitals, political parties, the local opera/symphony) and tell them that you are available for hire. For event work, I usually have had to go straight to the source - it's a bit of pavement-pounding, but it can pay off. A final thought - municipal gigs (city-produced concerts, events, etc.) are awesome - they usually pay extremely well and have ample staff and planning behind them.