Author Topic: Company package for new company members  (Read 3751 times)

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Company package for new company members
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 09:23 am »
Hi all,

As we reach the end of the dance season at my company(we've got approx 6 weeks left and no new shows just running one we've been doing all season) I'm starting to prep for next season. We will be bringing in 3 new dancers and I was looking for help/input on what to include in a dancer intro package. They would be moving here from at the very least other parts of the country and not unlikely other parts of the world and so I want them to feel welcomed and informed about the company practices and where we live but have no idea where to start realistically so...help?

Thanks!
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

TuckerelleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Company Stage Manager, Alabama Ballet
Re: Company package for new company members
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2015, 09:54 am »
Hey There!
 So for our new dancers, once their contracts are in: I  begin by adding them to the group emails. I have a small google site that post updated info to during the off season (pdfs of paperwork that may have changed since it was sent with contract - ie: season schedule, tours). Then I do a short intro email to each of them and get a feel for when they are actually planning to move to town, and whether or not they will be seeking a roommate - and most importantly for our area - whether or not they have their own transportation. 
Our company has a facebook group that all the dancers use, so I go ahead and invite them to that as well, and let them do their own introductions. I find the facebook thing works a lot better for them to find a roommate than me trying to be the middle person.  I have some apt listings that I send them - places I know that some dancers do or have lived in the past (that way I know it's in a dancer's price range). I send a map with some hand drawn notes of the "unsafe" parts of town, and parts that are likely to have bad traffic. I like to let them know how far away the theatres/s and studio are.
I do all this well before we start back in the fall. I find that with all those resources and the internet, they are pretty much set up to be resourceful for themselves. I do not want them to get in the habit of thinking I am here to solve their problems - lol - especially once the season begins.
Of course, I let them know they are welcome to call or email me for more info.
As far as standard paperwork sent with their contract or on the first day of work:
    Release of Claims/Liability waiver
    Physical Form for season Prescreenings - list all past/current injuries, meds, allergies
    Dancer Info Sheet: Legal and preferred Stage Name, Hometown to be listed in season brochures, current resume, 100 word or less bio/blurb and headshot to post (before season pics are taken); address
    Emg Contact Info
    Whether or not they want a flu shot in the fall (we order them for the company)
    Info on health insurance if they are eligible
     a copy of their health insurance card  for emg purposes
     I let them know we run a background check, and have to get a copy of their driver's license/id
    Direct Deposit Forms
     I-9s (go ahead and send them a list of acceptable documents beforehand so they can start looking for their paperwork)
    Media and social media release form
    I post the request for absence pdf on the google site so they can fill it out and email it back
      Hope this helps!
      Merde!
      Joelle

Post Merge: Jun 11, 2015, 10:07 am
Forgot to list:
    Season Schedule with specific notes of any rehearsal days that are outside of our normal hours (IE: Nutcracker rhsls with kids) so that if they have a 2nd job - they can go ahead and request off
    A brief run down of the shows we are doing.
    An invite to the google calendar I keep - so they can sync with their phone!

Joelle
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 10:07 am by TuckerelleSM »

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
Re: Company package for new company members
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2015, 10:44 am »
Super helpful thanks!