Author Topic: Anybody with sporting event/Olympics experience?  (Read 4163 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Anybody with sporting event/Olympics experience?
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:50 pm »
So I just got all the details...I'll be heading to Milan for 10 days at the end of June to work with Special Olympics Italy! Special Olympics has always been my favorite cause, and I'm thrilled to be working with them. But I have NO experience with something of this size. From what I understand, a lot of my job is going to be shuttling people around, getting them organized for opening and closing ceremonies, and just keeping teams moving (I'll be dealing with tennis.) Any tips about this type of event or even working in Italy would be a great help!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dewitt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Hope college dance dept, Heritage Theatre Group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Anybody with sporting event/Olympics experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:09 pm »
Missliz, Thank you with all my heart for taking this job. I have a nephew with down syndrome and he loves to swim and bowl in Special Olympics. It is a wonderful organization that gives happiness to so many people. I don't have any travel advice to give you but I hope it turns out to be a positive experience for you. It never occurred to me that they would need stage managers for their events. Now I can explore a new way to get involved with our local and state chapters. Good luck!

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:22 pm »
I worked at a large event center that hosted tennis and boxing (pro tennis and the oylmpic trials for boxing).  If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to share how these events went.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:51 pm »
dewitt- Thanks. My sister is autistic, and I've always gotten involved where I could, but as I'm not sporty it's been difficult. Definitely check with your local office- I found out about the games through Special Olympics Texas.

SMrose- Wonderful. From what I understand, I'm in a run-crew-like position. Organizing teams during opening and closing ceremonies, and making sure teams get to venues/courts at the correct times with all their supplies. Is there anything major I might not be aware of? The person I'm in communication with speaks very little English, and I don't speak Italian, so while I'm working on getting more information I know things are getting "lost in translation."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:23 am »
I would get the overall schedule and a breakdown specifically for each day (or even more detailed if available).  Find out what the hierarchy is and support your immediate boss or manager.  Who is in charge of getting each team ready? Make sure you communicate with these leaders and develop a good working relationship. Where are they gathering and how much time does it take to get each team into place?  How are they getting from place to place with their gear? Will you have radio or phone communication or any type of communication? Get to know the site so you're familiar with where everything is.  Things can get tense in a large event that needs to run on a schedule, so the more calm and prepared you are, the better (much like a show run).

Trust me, your stage manager skills will kick in: you'll pick up on things and ask/offer suggestions that are pro-active. It's funny how you can apply stage managment to lots of different events.

When we hosted sports in our venue, there was the overall production manager that was in charge of everything (who was an expert in the sport, too) and then "departments" in charge of their areas.  Just as with any large event, everyone has their assignment and that's what makes it run.

Pick up a translation book for "travelers" since it has phrases and not just a dictionary with words.  I've even seen some cool ones that have nothing but pictures that you point to, you may want this in addition.  See if your local library or community college has any language CD's in Italian and start studying.

The event sounds really exciting and you'll do just fine!