Author Topic: Legal Pads  (Read 10283 times)

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
Legal Pads
« on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problems I have. Every single legal pad that I have gotten has had pages come out of the pad when I don't want them to. Does anyone have a solution to this problem or is it just me being dumb? I would really appreciate finding out any alternatives to legal pads or a brand of legal pad that works really well. Thanks everyone, I hate my legal pads right now.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2006, 11:39 pm by smccain »
Sean

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Legal Pads
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:19 am »
I usually just buy a decent quality pad. The cheap ones suffer from one of two problems (sometime, they suffer from both) - pages not tearing out nicely, and pages just falling out. I am a recent convert to the Legal Pad, as I always used to use spiral bound notebooks - however they cost an arm and a leg. I usually use the ones from one of Australias larger stationers (OfficeWorks)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:00 pm »
I've also seen legal pads with a spiral bound top and perforated pages. They are pretty strong and because they have a cardboard cover and backing you don't really need a clipboard.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2006, 05:12 pm »
Thanks for the information. Do you know a store that carries the sprial-bound legal pads? I must be using a cheaper brand without knowing it. I must learn to be pickier next time.
Sean

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2006, 06:34 pm »
I've seen the spiral kind at Staples and Office Depot. 

Personally, I prefer the purple legal pads sold in the office supply section of Target.  The pages are sturdy, they tear cleanly, and I haven't had them fall out at random.  People also never mistake my legal pad for their own.  I'm not sure which brand they are, though. 

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:46 pm »
I like Steno pads, which are spiral bound at the top, but smaller than a legal pad.  You can find these in all the common office supply stores and the discount store near me has them for 3/$1.  You can find ones that are graph paper (which is my favorite) and a lot of them have easy-tear pages.

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2007, 03:34 am »
I went out and bought a legal-sized pad that has spirals at the top. It's really nice. I think I am going to like it. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Sean

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:04 pm »
I find that if I keep legal pads on a clipboard where the top part of the pad is pinched down they tend to rip evenly.
I use a Saunders Cruiser Mate II
http://www.saunders-usa.com/core/?brand=70&model=87
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

ESM_John

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:00 pm »
A very EXCELLENT pad is the "Ampad Evidence". What is great about it, is it has a very strong binding on the top as well as nice perforations. And the greatest benefit, it is 8.5 x 11" paper, so it fits neatly into a bider and the pages are standard size. Works great for me.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:14 am »
You know.... In college I used composition notebooks- the bound notebooks that you can't rip pages out of. I wanted to keep all of my notes in one place in no danger of being lost and in no danger of being tossed at any stage. (My college was highly competitive and many of us felt that we were in constant need of defense from certain faculty members... As I'm sure many of my fellow grads will atest to!) So, never tossing out hand written notes even after they'd been transfered to minutes or reports served us as "proof" in many cases. Now I just use regular legal pads....

HOWEVER, when doing many shows in rep I use a different pad for each show- and sometimes a different coloured pad for each show!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:05 pm »
Ampad also makes legal pads that are 100% recycled.  The paper is a slight off white, but they are my personal favorites.

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2007, 03:58 am »
My school has Office Depot notepads.  They generally work pretty well for me.
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

riotous