Author Topic: Liquid Nitrogen Ground Fog  (Read 4204 times)

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Liquid Nitrogen Ground Fog
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:18 pm »
Hi all.  Has anyone used liquid nitrogen to create a ground fog effect?  We normally do the dry-ice routine, but my director heard that the look was much more effective with liquid nitrogen.  I did some prelimary research on it, and of course the first few Google hits were about how it is dangerous for actors. :(  So, I'm looking to hear the experiences of others who may have used it!

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid Nitrogen Ground Fog
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:22 pm »
Dry ice can look damn good (especially in conjuction with fog and haze) with the right distribution mechanism -- maybe it would be in the best interest of your company (i.e. your actor charges) interest to look further into that.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:07 am »
Le Maitre makes some great machines.  They'll have a machine to suit every need you have.  Sounds like you want some heavier stuff that sticks on the floor, look at their low-fog stuff and you should find something to suit your needs.

I would steer away from using any chemicals or gases that you're unsure of in any aspect of theatre.  If you don't know the way a gas or chemical will behave and all of the potential risks then it's not prudent to put that in a space where you have a  lot of people.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 11:28 am »
Okay, I am locking this topic for two reasons:

1: Liquid nitrogen is not safe to be handled by non-professionals - so I am locking this to prevent people from replying with "If you do X/Y you can do it safely" posts.

2: Liquid nitrogen is damn dangerous and should only be handled by professionals - yes, I realise I said the same thing two different ways... that is just to emphasise.

Dry ice is in fact quite a dangerous compound, but with careful handling, we use it in the theatre to great effect. Liquid N2 is many times more dangerous - especially in the quantities required for stage, and in most countries (The US, I am not so sure about) requires a permit to get such quantities - and there are a lot of storage considerations to be thought about - making using liquid N2 prohibitively expensive.

If the OP wants more information on using liquid N2, then the OP should contact a local effects professional and proceed from there.