Author Topic: Aging in stage management (those late 20's)  (Read 32230 times)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Aging in stage management (those late 20's)
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2008, 09:10 am »
This thread is so encouraging!  I'm leaving my very stable job with 52-weeks and benefits to go back to graduate school in the fall.  I've got two weeks left in my PSM position and then it's off to the west coast to get my masters.

Everyone keeps asking me two questions.  1) Why? and 2) what are your plans after school?

My answers, 1) because I had to! I don't want to be a "lifer" at this company! and 2) I don't know!  That's why I'm going to school. That's the beauty of it.  i know what to do something else -- but I'm not really sure what -- and figure that grad school is as safe a place as any to figure it out while I earn a degree in the process.  =)

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2008, 10:25 am »
Remember that going back to school is an investment in yourself - I think it was the the thing to get me up and out the "small time" I felt stuck in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2008, 05:42 pm »
All of ljh's points are fantastic ways to approach a stage management career. IMHO, they are also fantastic ways to live your life. So, thought I didn't understand it for a while, I've always thought of my career in the theatre in general, and stage management in specific, as a lifestyle choice: this is how I want to live my life. Once I made that realization, sometime in my late 20s, it helped me through some of the emotional frustration that a passionate young theatre professional may experience and helped to widen the scope of "the big picture" of which we're charged to maintain. We're all a part of the story, and when I finally came to understand how my role changes day to day, even second to second, I discovered that it was the best way I could and continue to support the other actors, all of us conning our little parts (to paraphrase Wordsworth).

Knavehart

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:16 am »
I have just reached the point in my life where I am closer to 40 than 30,  closer to 50  than 20,  and I have been doing Stage Management for 13 years.   I came to it late professionally,  knowing I wanted to be involved in theatre, but was not an actor.  I had written and directed, and have designed in just about every possible way,  but I had developed a horrible addiction that needed to be fed, and that was eating regular meals so I began stage managing for friends and discovered that I had a knack for it.  It let me use talents and skills that I enjoyed.

I became the Stageboard Samurai, many of my jobs came about during theatre transitions, where new Artistic and management staff come in.  Three years and out - that was my motto,  I never wanted to be anywhere too long.  I couldn't stand the idea of being a lifer.  I loved the travel, I loved getting to work with so many passionate artists, and making friends around the country. 

But now, I have been completely burnt out, and I am looking for what is next.
Time, wherefore the memory of man, runneth not to the contrary

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2008, 06:40 pm »
I've been working in theatre one way or another for 31 years and stage managing for 22 of those.  Basically, I've had a lot of fun.  Yes, I have worked with individuals who shall remain nameless and who can rot in h*** for all eternity, but in 4 weeks they were gone from my life and there were bunches of other people pleasant, talented people to fill in.  I have been privileged to work with a lot of friends and people who became my friends. 
Early on I also managed to mix up the work a bit.  For most of my twenties I had steady SM work for 9+ months of the year.  6 weeks of the year I worked for a festival and not doing stage management.  I got to focus on other skills while still enjoying the theatre environment.  The little mental break enabled me to recharge my batteries, and the first year I was a full time SM for the festival and didn't get that break I noticed it.
I made it over the hurdle of years and for a while now have enjoyed a decent wage at a more than decent company.  The secret: Do your job and do it well (it helps to enjoy the work).  Eventually the jobs will come to you.  Or at least meet you halfway.  You might think you are the best SM since post-its were invented and confused why no one else can see that, but you still have to do the job you have.  While you are in that Production Assistant position make the best darn coffee ever, sharpen the pencils before they need it, keep the water pitcher full.  Eventually when They see you can handle the smaller repsonsibilities They will offer you bigger ones.  I would.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2008, 08:03 pm »
You might think you are the best SM since post-its were invented and confused why no one else can see that, but you still have to do the job you have.  While you are in that Production Assistant position make the best darn coffee ever, sharpen the pencils before they need it, keep the water pitcher full.  Eventually when They see you can handle the smaller repsonsibilities They will offer you bigger ones.  I would.

i love this part of your post.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:50 am »
This thread is so encouraging!  I'm leaving my very stable job with 52-weeks and benefits to go back to graduate school in the fall.  I've got two weeks left in my PSM position and then it's off to the west coast to get my masters.

Everyone keeps asking me two questions.  1) Why? and 2) what are your plans after school?

My answers, 1) because I had to! I don't want to be a "lifer" at this company! and 2) I don't know!  That's why I'm going to school. That's the beauty of it.  i know what to do something else -- but I'm not really sure what -- and figure that grad school is as safe a place as any to figure it out while I earn a degree in the process.  =)

I have left the theatre world in order to go to grad school. I'm glad that I did, and I will be glad to jump back into theatrical stage management when I'm done.
I wish you the best of luck! I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who worked for a while then decided to give school a try.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2009, 09:53 pm »
I hate to commit thread necromancy, but I was just re-reading this thread as I'm now in the last year of my twenties and am asking myself "What's next?".  I'm PSMing, I'm ASMing, I'm traveling, I'm still managing to find work in this economy although I am "breaking the rules" in terms of pay . . .at this point if it keeps me afloat it'll do.

I wonder, in times of economic hardships, what you all think in terms of taking that next step, keeping the momentum of your career moving.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 11:49 am »

I don't know if this will answer your question, but I'm still planning to take my next step, despite the economy. It's just going to take me longer than usual. This economy will not last forever, but my plans will.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 10:54 pm »
Personally I think the hard part remains knowing - very clearly - what you want the next step to be. If you are very clear about it, you are far more likely to achieve it, no matter what the economy is doing.
ChaCha

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 11:22 pm »
Or . . . being flexible enough to take what ever next step is handed to you.  It's difficult to plot the next step in a career where so many things are out of your control - and often to take a step forward, you might have to take a step back. 

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 01:22 am »
so true matthew. I once took a three week job as a sort of site manager/guest artist minder for a festival. A three week job which I really thought was rather beneath me. well, those guest artists invited me to tour the world with them. in a role which was an incredible learning curve and which definately helped me along the path to my current role as a producer. not to mention all that free travel. you just never know...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:51 am by ChaCha »
ChaCha

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #27 on: Jun 01, 2009, 09:49 am »
My mantra is "You are not responsible for the outcome of your life, just the input..."
Ordo ab chao

riotous