Author Topic: A different eletronic script thread  (Read 5593 times)

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
A different eletronic script thread
« on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:45 pm »
I've scanned the other threads, and please point me in the right different if this topic has already been covered:

What programs do you all use for scripts during the rehearsal process? My company always gives us the script in Microsoft Word, but making script changes/ updates can be very complicated and labor-intensive.  I'm looking for a program that will "lock" the page numbers, so regardless of script changes, the master electronic copy will still match the copy distributed at first rehearsal.  Ideally, if the text needs to go onto another page, the program will start a new page "24a" instead of bumping down to page 25. 

The way I've dealt with this in Word is by manually inserting section / page breaks, and actually re-numbering the new pages myself.  This requires a LOT of double-checking, and I have had problems passing the project off to someone else.  Any suggestions?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: A different eletronic script thread
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:53 am »
I am afraid that MS Word will be the most common tool used. You could try some screenwriting software like FinalDraft

(I just tried it, and appart from not liking the formatting of scripts (See sample attatched), it is a great program - just set "Lock pages" and bobs your uncle)
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2007, 03:20 am by Mac Calder »

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:14 am »
I have had alot of the same problems, but only because I type all of my scripts in pre production because its a great way for me to know the show very well.  But i do have the same formatting issues, and i have been told that since this is such a new wave in the theatre and in stage management, digital scripts and such, that thier is no program in existence YET, but i would love someone to make a great one, i would buy it!
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:23 am »
I type my scripts too, and I ended up just writing in the script page numbers in the margins. Annoying, but it got the job done.

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:14 am »
Mac, what version of FinalDraft are you using? I'm intrigued.

Generally though I just do the page breaks in Word and do my font at a size 9. It means that I have space under the text on the page for extra notes/cuts/additional lines and when I go back into Word to adjust the script then I don't worry too much about going over to the next page.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 04:32 pm »
The latest. 7.something.something.

I found out how to change the formatting and everything shortly after posting (and playing around for a while).

I did like it enough to buy a license, because even if I don't end up using it much, I have a friend that will. Looks like a bit of a learning curve, and it does not seem to have a way to put cues in (A fella can dream can't he) but not a bad piece of (rather expensive) software