Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Organizational Overview:

The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
*  TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre
*  TCT On Tour
*  TCT Academy

Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theatre in children and the young at heart.

Core Beliefs:
*  We believe in the power of theatre to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
*  We believe that our audiences deserve high-quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
*  We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
*  We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
*  We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.

Position Overview:
The Resident Stage Manager will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming.  The Resident Stage Manager coordinates rehearsal and performance needs for TCT.

This position will report directly to the Production Director in Cincinnati, OH, and will work in tandem with The Technical Director, the Associate Artistic Director/Company Manager, and contracted creative teams, which make up the key members of the Production Department.

Responsibilities:

Duties include but are not limited to:

TCT MainStage
•   Stage Managing productions for TCT
•   Assist in managing schedules for technical departments and casts with Producing Director
•   Attending all production meetings, rehearsals, and performances
•   Assist in scheduling of rehearsals and performances with stage director and creative team members
•   Assist in paperwork generally associated with Stage Management including crew running paperwork, character costume breakdowns, and prompt book creation.
•   Assist in performer choreography and blocking record-keeping
•   Assist with coordination of MainStage season auditions
•   Recruit and manage Assistant Stage Managers and Stage Management Interns with the help of the Production Director
•   Along with Production and Artistic teams, manage schedules for technical department and casts
•   General Stage Management duties required for the production, including set up of the rehearsal room, taping out the rehearsal room, prop tables, and creating, maintaining, and distributing all paperwork including a prompt book containing blocking and production cues.

Education and Outreach
•   When available, acts as the Stage Manager for the final performances of TCT Academy and STAR performances.

Casting
•   Assist the Associate Artistic Director to coordinate and attend auditions and callbacks, assisting with paperwork where necessary.       

Technical Theatre Coordination
•   Along with the Production Director, create and manage technical schedules and IATSE crew needs.
•   Oversee unloading scenery, prop, and wardrobe trucks after load-out from the theater as available.
•   Along with the Production Director, supervise strike of all TCT performances.

Ideal and Minimum Qualifications:

•   Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts or related field, or equivalent work experience in Theatre Production/Stage Management
•   Ability to work and maintain schedules for technical departments and performers
•   Excellent communication and relationship building skills
•   Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office
•   Ability to read written music
•   Broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre
•   Experience working with Labor Union Crews, and Volunteers[RJ1] [RJ2] [RJ3]
•   Ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds   

Compensation and Benefits:
•   Annual Salary:  $40,000
•   Health, vision, and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
•   403(b) retirement plan participation available with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
•   Generous PTO based on years of service
•   Generous paid holiday schedule

To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by September 3, 2021 to submissions@tctcincinnati.com.  Subject Line: Stage Manager Submission 

Start Date:
Mid-October, 2021
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
I worked for a company that did this every summer. What worked best for us was:

-Having the deck painted a motif that works for all productions (usually it was wide "floor boards" and sometimes a toned down Jackson potluck style lol--always some shade of brown, cause that's what worked for our shows).

-Each show had it's own spike color, using as minimal spikes as possible.

-Each colored spike was covered with clear Marley tape (if there isn't dancing or busy foot work in the show than clear packaging tape would work in a pinch, temporarily).

-During changeovers, one person went through and covered the previous shows spikes with brown gaff tape and wrote the show number on it. And then tore the brown gaff off that next shows spikes (obviously, make a spike chart to double check).

-All immovable scenic elements were "spiked" with a sharpie or paint pen. Didn't need to cover any of these by show because they weren't noticeable from offstage in our venue.

This routine works for our team for many summers with 3-5 shows in the same space in rep.
Depends on how many scene changes there are - and how critical placement is. If you can get away with not spiking - don't. Some shows it doesn't matter if everything is precisely placed. Colours are good - but you don't want your floor to look like a jackson pollock painting. If you have moving head lights in the rig, lighting can give you spikes if you are setting pre-show or behind a cloth/scenic piece.
Looking at 4 shows sharing the same stage floor in rep this summer with minimal time between performances of different shows (i.e. matinee to evening show). Currently pondering spiking furniture, props, etc. My first thought is just to assign specific colors to specific shows. Was wondering if the hive mind had any other options?

Thanks!
Introductions / Re: Semi-Retired SM But Still Teaching!
« Last post by Maribeth on Mar 06, 2021, 10:18 am »
Welcome, Jackie!
Kennedy Center Theater for Young Audiences is holding virtual open call interviews, and there are dedicated times for DC-area stage managers, ASMs, and production assistants. These interviews are not for any specific positions in our upcoming season, but we'd love to get to know you for future stage management needs. Please note that most of our productions (other than tours) are local to Washington, DC.

More information can be found on the website, including how to request access accommodations and how to request a time slot. Stage managers should include a resume - no headshot needed.

Please email kctya@kennedy-center.org with questions - do not send PMs. Thanks!
Introductions / Re: Semi-Retired SM But Still Teaching!
« Last post by RuthNY on Mar 01, 2021, 10:33 am »
Welcome!!
Introductions / Semi-Retired SM But Still Teaching!
« Last post by JackieCCPA on Feb 28, 2021, 01:06 pm »
Hello out there in SM Network Land.
I'm a Semi-Retired (meaning I don't SM professionally anymore) "Recovering SM" who spent half my career in Opera. Have also worked in Musical Theatre, a bit of Dance and as an Entertainment Technician / SM on Cruise Ships. I have a bit of Film and TV experience as an Assistant Director (1st AD), On Set Props, Locations Manager and Set Dec. I teach Stage Management at the College level and am the FOH Manager for two large historic Civic Theatres. I've joined the SM Network to support my Students, but am always happy to answer questions or engage in dialogue.

Best,
Jackie A.
Uploaded Forms / Re: Reports and minutes (Performance, Rehearsal, meetings)
« Last post by VSM on Feb 18, 2021, 01:11 pm »
I get the same message.
I am using a MacBook Pro - iOS 11.2.1
Tools of the Trade / Software: Diese
« Last post by Jonas_A on Feb 17, 2021, 06:07 pm »
I've been chatting with some colleagues who are exploring a move from ArtsVision (www.artsvision.net) to Diese (www.diesesoftware.com) - does anyone have any experience with the latter? We're both large professional orchestras with complex planning and production processes, so keen to hear from anyone who has used them in a similar scenario.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
riotous