Author Topic: Standby Introduction...  (Read 2201 times)

DSchram

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Opera and Theatrical SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Standby Introduction...
« on: Jun 14, 2015, 11:09 am »
New Stage Manager introduction, GO!

Hello all! After several years of knowing about this site, I've finally gotten around to actually joining, now that summer is rolling around and things have slowed down somewhat.

A bit about myself... I am local to the Baltimore, MD area after graduating from UMBC in 2014 with a degree in Technical Theatre, emphasis in stage management. Despite primarily working on straight plays there, due to the structure of the program, I've spent the better part of the last year working with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and learning how to work on opera. It has certainly been an exciting shift of focus, and one I have quite honestly enjoyed immensely.

I close my current production (Candide with the BSO) this afternoon with a matinee performance, before beginning work on Pirates of Penzance on Monday... never a dull moment!

I'm looking forward to taking part in the community and continuing to learn and grow as a stage manager!

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: Standby Introduction...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2015, 09:41 am »
Welcome Aboard!
Ordo ab chao

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2015, 01:43 pm »
Welcome! Glad to hear you enjoyed going from straight plays to opera - it gave me whiplash  :D.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2015, 07:45 pm »
Hi and welcome from another local! I grew up in that area but live in DC now. Sounds like you're finding some interesting work!

DSchram

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Opera and Theatrical SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2015, 11:38 pm »
@VSM - thanks!

@dallas10086 - Many thanks! Yeah, it was quite a challenge, and I still occasionally have moments of "what is all this extra paperwork I have to do?! Why do I need to take timings?! Why is blocking SO MUCH DIFFERENT for this?!" but it's fun, for the most part! And I have always enjoyed musicals - and music! - so it's been fun. Never a dull moment, that's for sure!

@Maribeth - Oh, lovely! Pleasure to meet you! I haven't tried to break into DC yet, but I'll be working on a small scale opera down there (well, performing down there, anyway - it's rehearsing in Arlington) this fall, so that should be enjoyable! And yes, I'm loving the work I've been doing, thankfully... I was so terrified after graduating that things wouldn't work out but I've been very grateful to find that they have.

riotous